Menu
effie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"I'm not a robot"

When I try to log in to check my email (ntlworld address), i can't get past the log in page, which asks me to check a box which says "I'm not a robot". I tick this box, then get asked to spot various pictures, then back to this box again. Can't get past them. 

Any advice please? I have cleared my cache. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: "I'm not a robot"

Also clear your cookies. Needs both.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
effie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have cleared cookies too, but still the same issue. 

Anything else? I am using google chrome. Might

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There have recent reports on this Board that Chrome is being troublesome. I have to confess it works perfectly for me.

Try checking that another browser works OK.

As for Chrome make sure it is up to date. Current version is 50.0.26661.94m.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When I tripped the robot check recently the following happened (I was using Chrome): It asked me to check images of certain things. So I did then I hit verify. It wouldn't let me past. After about three attempts something odd happened and that was, after clicking the things it asked me to, it would immediately make the image I click vanish/change to something random. Net result was I couldn't pass it.

Until... I deliberately failed the test, so when it say asked me to click pictures of trees, I clicked pictures of pickups then I hit verify. Check failed, but the next check afterwards let me past.

(Summary, speaking from my recent experience of it with Chrome): It seems like when it is playing up and not accepting you're choosing the correct images: deliberately fail the test once. The next test should work fine.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ease of Use
Low friction, effortless interaction for your users

Creation of Value
Apply the human bandwidth to benefit people everywhere
Purposefully designed. And actively aware. reCAPTCHA knows when to be easy on people and hard on bots. Our easy CAPTCHAs are a breeze for legitimate users.

Source: Google reCAPTCHA

Utopian vision does not match the reality.

What you saw @Shelke was reCAPTCHA increasing the number of solutions required to pass the test because of its determination of inhuman like behaviour (aka Bot) from the IP address. For example, the reCAPTCHA below required identifying images with rivers (sic) until there were none left.

2016-05-07-01.jpg

Clicking on an image of a river caused it to be replaced by a new image until no further images of a river were left.

2016-05-07-02.jpg

After which clicking Verify would pass the test however any misidentified images and the test will be repeated but this time will require multiple correct solutions!

2016-05-07-03.jpg

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

effie wrote:

Thanks. I have cleared cookies too, but still the same issue. 

Anything else? I am using google chrome. Might

Try the audio challenge instead.

0 Kudos
effie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for your suggestions. 

I can access without difficulty via safari, no robot question there. 

But still the same problem with chrome. I have cleared browsing data, cookies and cache. I have the newest version of chrome. 

Why does the robot question come up with chrome but not via safari? 

I really don't want to peer myopically at small pictures of street signs! 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
mikes2400
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What you saw @Shelke was reCAPTCHA increasing the number of solutions required to pass the test because of its determination of inhuman like behaviour (aka Bot) from the IP address. For example, the reCAPTCHA below required identifying images with rivers (sic) until there were none left.

2016-05-07-01.jpg

Clicking on an image of a river caused it to be replaced by a new image until no further images of a river were left.

2016-05-07-02.jpg

After which clicking Verify would pass the test however any misidentified images and the test will be repeated but this time will require multiple correct solutions!

2016-05-07-03.jpg

This is the correct answer - well done! It is happening to me today - took me a while to cotton on to what is now happening.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think you will find that Google have kept the details of precisely what triggers the reCaptcha verification process very close to their chest.

The point is that it is attempting to filter out those login attempts that are coming from bots as opposed to humans and if the methods they use were in the public domain then bots could be programmed to beat them. Clearly there must be a whole range of factors that are brought into play.

I rarely log in to my VM webmail account and for some reason I seldom get challenged. (I use Firefox but I don't think it's significant.)

However, one thing I have found is that if I login, then log out after a few seconds, I always get challenged if I try to login again shortly afterwards. To reCaptcha that must look like 'bot' behaviour.

I think that makes testing out various browsers quite difficult because the mere act of testing them out will look very much like 'bot' behaviour. It is possible that there is something about the way that Chrome works that can appear suspicious but it is likely that in a few months time Chrome will be ok and Firefox or Edge will fall foul of reCaptcha.

Like others on here. my advice is to opt for the audio challenge. I find it much easier than picking out all the right pictures.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos