Menu
andywishart
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

outgoing mail identified as spam

Just realized If I send email containing a link (url) it's not reaching its destination. This has apparently been the case for at least several weeks and may already have lost me business. 

When using a client, the mail appears sent but doesn't arrive at its destination, I guess deleted at the server, when trying to post via the webmail app it comes up with the following error message

Error

Message could not be sent. Error message from e-mail transport server: 554 - 554 5.2.0 uH6T1u00439ojr801H6Tcl Spam content found

How can I post links via virgin mail systems?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: outgoing mail identified as spam

This needs the Forum Team to look at. I'll flag it. You'll need to be patient. Nothing you can do except try using an e-mail client to send. Might get round the issue - only might!

@ForumTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
andywishart
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard,

Desktop client (Thunderbird) is the same, only i didn't realize they weren't reaching their destination (even some form of message back from the server would have been helpful). Using the webmail app I can see for sure they're not going, resulting in the error message I mentioned.

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I too noticed this when using an email client and cannot understand why Virgin Media have chosen this policy of silently dropping message suspected of containing spam; you may wish to bcc yourself on messages sent from your email client to confirm their not being dropped.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi andywishart,

Apologies for this odd issue. Thanks for coming to our Forum for help though, hope we don't disappoint )

Would you do me a favour please and do the following:

• From a client send an email that includes a url.
  • From a client send the same email, to the same recipient, without the url included.

Let me know when you've done so and I'll inspect the SMTP log data to find out what's happening.
We've not made any changes on our side that would result in this behaviour and I suspect that the recipients of the email may have marked it as spam - that would more easily explain what's causing this.

However, I'd like to check in case this needs flagging up.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

andywishart
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for getting back. I've done as you requested - maybe you could check them out. Email subjects are 'testing send with url' and 'testing send without url'
I've experimented myself and seem to be able to send some URLs but not others. My suspicions are that the one I've just sent (the original problematic url) may actually be blacklisted (or something).

Anyway, I'd appreciate some help on the matter.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for doing that.

This helps hugely as the emails have the same sender and recipient. The first message was 'dropped' as it was flagged as 'IsSpam'.

The 2nd message was successfully delivered.

Would you be able to send me the Headers for both emails via PM please so I can query this with Postmaster?

Just click on 'Send Message'  when hovering your cursor over my picture.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

Hi Andy,

This helps hugely as the emails have the same sender and recipient. The first message was 'dropped' as it was flagged as 'IsSpam'.

Oh for pity's sake.  If you're not going to deliver a mail then you MUST tell the sender, note that you can do this at the DATA portion of the send if the mail is deemed to be spam.

From the RFC

When an SMTP client has a message to transmit, it establishes a two-
   way transmission channel to an SMTP server.  The responsibility of an
   SMTP client is to transfer mail messages to one or more SMTP servers,
   or report its failure to do so.

Remember the term client and server is interchangeable.  When a relay is passing on a message to an additional server IT becomes the SMTP client.

However, you should ideally reject the mail when the first client is connected to you.

The server can send an error message at any portion of the send prior to queueing the mail, even on receipt of the DATA portion of the mail, it should do the spam check there and then and then let the client know it's not going to send it.

Silently dropping a mail that's believed to be spam is irresponsible.  Unless the sender receives notification from the intended recipient that the mail hasn't arrived, then they assume it's been delivered.

Imagine if the post office just dumped a load of letters, because they looked like junk.  There'd be an outcry.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

andywishart
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, Tim.

Some local notification that a maill had been dropped would be ideal.

Andy

0 Kudos