Menu
d1abl0
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ntlworld to @virginmedia change

I have 3 long running @ntlworld.com accounts that i wish to change to @virginmedia.com accounts, i recall way back when there was an email that said both would be working and we just had to opt to move over when ready.

If someone can point me in the right direction i want to get the process underway.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: @ntlworld to @virginmedia change

Welcome to the forum.

There was initially a plan to allow users to transfer to the virginmedia.com domain from the legacy domains, however it proved to be problematic and was abandoned.

It is possible for you to set up new email addresses @virginmedia.com but they cannot have the same prefix as your existing ntlworld.com addresses.  Instructions on how to create new email addresses can be found here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=116476B5-2609-4FE1-A0E7-AD37922AD815

steve3961uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have changed my mail servers from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com and whilst it was suggested that ntlworld.com would still work for the time-being, it was considered necessary to change to virginmedia.com ones. My question would be - why is the email address not retained  i.e. joebloggs1@ntlworld.com to joebloggs1@virginmedia.com?  I would change my email address to virginmedia.com if I could without having to alter the joebloggs1 to something else.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Because the mail server addresses are separate to your actual email address. The server names just tell the email software where the servers so they can talk to them. It could be mail.somethingcompletelyrandom.com and you could still have a joebloggs@ ntlworld.com email address if the server was set up to manage them.

Virgin Media customers with virginmedia.com, ntlworld,com, blueyonder.co.uk and virgin.net email addresses can all use the virginmedia.com mail servers to send and receive their emails.

However everyone keeps their original email address itself, and there are no plans to change that.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
steve3961uk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. So was there any benefit or requirement for me to change to virginmedia servers for my emails if i cannot change my email address?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When this thread was originally created at the end of last year, it didn't make much of a difference.

However changing to the virginmedia.com settings is now a requirement. At some point the older server addresses will stop working, and only the virginmedia.com ones will remain.

So even though your ntlworld.com address will continue to work, pop.ntlworld.com and smtp.ntlworld.com won't.

If you don't change to the virginmedia.com server settings your email client will at some point stop receiving email, or being able to send email from your Virgin Media Mail account.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
steve3961uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I understand now.

0 Kudos