Menu
CW28
Tuning in
Message 1 of 52
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email on ipad

Email on my ipad stopped working when I was on holiday in Italy early Feb. I waited until I was home and tried to re-set, using a tried and trusted method posted by SolveIT, but this time, despite repeated attempts at deleting the account, setting up in airplane mode, I have had no success.  Meanwhile my iphone with the same settings, continues to work.  Pls can someone help?

CW28

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email on ipad

You might find this thread helpful: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...
CW28
Tuning in
Message 3 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, but no joy:  I had found your guide earlier and tried it without success.  I first deleted the old a/c, turned on airplane mode, created the new a/c with no success, getting the message that either my email address or password was wrong.  From there, i went into Settings, not in airplane mode, and over-wrote the passwords, but no change at all.  I've been unable to send/receive for 6 weeks now. :-(

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 52
Flag for a moderator

The thing is that the iPad and the iPhone work exactly the same way (as do any other devices using IMAP and SMTP).  So if the settings are indeed exactly the same, if one can connect so should the other.

If you can't receive as well then my solutions not going to fix your issue.

Recheck your settings on both devices carefully.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
CW28
Tuning in
Message 5 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Alas, I have tried this several times now but still get the same message 'username or password for ... is incorrect.' I have not altered my password.  Curiously, my iphone, set to the same account, set up by my son, is using ntlworld, not virginmedia, and still works.  I tried to replicate this on the ipad, without success.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

CW

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi CW,

This is most odd. I think that Graham and ravenstar have covered most questions. 

I wonder though if your iPad is defaulting to an uppercase initial letter when you input your password. Would you check please?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
CW28
Tuning in
Message 7 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

The initial letter of my password is uppercase.  I've re-done all the passwords v carefully, and still get the msg "Cannot get mail: the username or password is incorrect." I haven't changed my password.

Any suggestions gratefully rcd!

CW

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Satisfy my curiosity please - are you connecting to the VM network wireless at home and failing to send or receive, or are you using a different 3G or 4G mobile phone network from VM's to connect at home or away? Just explain how you are trying to connect really. This is probably a futile exercise but any port in a storm!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
CW28
Tuning in
Message 9 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard

I'm at home, trying to connect through the VM network. I can do this via an iMac and an iPhone, but not via the ipad.  I haven't altered my password. I get the message 'username or password incorrect' despite having changed neither.

Curiosity is always useful.

CW

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Well it was worth a try. I should explain. There can be a serious issue when trying to connect over non-VM networks - wifi or 3G/4G phone services. Clearly doesn't apply to you. I'm now at a loss too over how to explain this.

But a couple more questions, if I may? You said the service stopped when you were in Italy. How were you trying to connect there - hotel wifi or mobile phone network? Do you see any error messages on your iPad when you try to receive or send? They are not usually very informative but they might help.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos