Menu
Nikkim1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email issues

Hi,

I have always used webmail to access my ntlworld email account, generally without issues.

I was using fine till late Friday/early hours of Saturday - although it did at times take a while to load. Since about yesterday lunchtime I have been unable to get into my e-mails using my Chrome browser, it just constantly tries to load & never opens even when refreshing - which has worked in the past.

I have also tried accessing via the 'edge' browser which has the same result. Even clearing the history & cache/cookies has made no difference.

Having seen some similar comments on here yesterday I downloaded & tried the 'firefox' browser which worked once last night & now that won't work either. I have also tried via Safari on my ipad with no luck......

Help!!! My ntl email is my main email address has some important details/emails on it that I need to access.

Is there anything else I can do??? If not when will this issue be fixed??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email issues

I don't like to see other VM users in difficulty but I'm getting tired of responding today so far as this awful web mail system is concerned. It is just not fit for purpose.

I'll do what I can to help. But if I were you I'd jack it in with this product and move to a web mail system that works (plenty out there). You can always redirect your ntlworld mail to the new system as you notify contacts of your new address. I did just that (although I retain my VM address for a small number of uses, access via an e-mail client though not the awful web mail).

Shame this has to come from a Superuser and more significantly a customer for over 30 years (VM and predecessors) but it'd be dishonest of me to call it otherwise.

In the meantime set up an e-mail client to manage your mail. That is a sure-fire method of dealing with the current disgraceful performance of the web mail system. Guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Use IMAP so you can the web mail folders.

You can also try the usual tricks of clearing cache and cookies repeatedly and refresh the pages as they load or fail to do so (more likely). I see you have tried but you may just wish to persevere.

VM tell us that they are on the case. It is taking an awful long while to fix, if so. I wish I could be more optimistic about VM's mail system but I can't be (at least not for the moment).

Anecdote. My wife just had to chose a new e-mail address (Freeserve closing). We sat down to discuss and about 30 secs later she was fully set up and running on GMail. No sign of any issues. That tells you something - doesn't it?

@ForumTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
lesabbott
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have been having problems with edge browser and chrome over past few days.

Just spoken to virgin -they investigated and there is some sort of system issue with webmail.

0 Kudos
Nikkim1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

While I am happy to move to another webmail system to replace my virgin/ntl account I do obviously still need access to the emails I already have in my inbox/folders etc!

This maybe a stupid question but I'll ask anyway...!! If I set up an e-mail client as you have suggested will it drag through all the current e-mails in my inbox/folders/sent mail or will it only show items from the date it is set up e.g. today?

0 Kudos
lesabbott
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think it will drag through all your old emails.

My outlook client is working perfectly at present.

0 Kudos
Nikkim1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Had sort of gathered it was an issue at their end..... did they give a timescale for this to be fixed?

0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you set up a third party email client then you don't need to change your email address and can continue to access your existing emails via Webmail when it is working. Personally I use Windows Live Mail 2011 which still works perfectly well although it is no longer supported by Microsoft. I only use Webmail occasionally to check the spam folder in case something important has been filtered by mistake. There are other email clients like Thunderbird and there's an article on different ones here:-

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-email-client

If you do configure such an email client to receive your VM emails then it will very likely download all your emails initially, so if you can access Webmail first it will help as you can delete any you don't want to keep and minimise the initial download.

The advantage of using a third party email address like Gmail is that you retain it regardless of where you get your broadband, whereas your VM address is only usable while you remain a VM customer.

lesabbott
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I use Outlook because I am using office 365 and have it on a number of devices.
I only use webmail to check the spam filter is not ditching important stuff.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Seffrid wrote:
If you do configure such an email client to receive your VM emails then it will very likely download all your emails initially, so if you can access Webmail first it will help as you can delete any you don't want to keep and minimise the initial download.

Just to clarify, I would  add that there are a choice of 2 protocols that you can you use to download your emails:

POP3 or IMAP

Just to keep it as simple as possible, POP3 will only download emails from the inbox of your webmail account whereas with IMAP you can download emails from all the folders in your account. IMAP is much better if you want to use email on multiple devices e..g. your laptop and your smart phone as well as webmail.

Most email clients support both options. Google "POP3 or IMAP" for more details.

Coenoby

If someone posts a helpful message you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
Nikkim1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, so to be certain that I can access all my existing e-mails/folders etc as those new items in my inbox I'll need to use the IMAP option.

0 Kudos