Menu
emailwoes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email domain forwarding issue

I have a strange one that VM have been unable to help me with on the telephone.  I use my own domain name for email and an ntlworld.com IMAP mailbox that I access using MS Outlook/Android to access.

I use email address forwarding (not message forwarding) to specific addresses, so for example I have anything sent to me@mydomain.com to automatically route to myaccount@ntlworld.com using 123reg.co.uk as the domain name provider.

If I send an email to me@mydomain.com it is randomly taking anywhere between 1-48hrs for the message to arrive in my ntlworld inbox.  This used to work just fine and has only been a problem in the last few weeks.  The following are true:

1) If I email myaccount@ntlworld.com directly, the email arrives immediately, so my ntlworld mailbox is working just fine.
2) If I configure me@mydomain.com to route to somewhere else, say myaccount@gmail.com, and send an email to me@mydomain.com, it arrives in the gmail inbox within 30 seconds, so the email routing from 123reg.co.uk is working just fine.

I have tested the above using various different emails@mydomain.com and sending from MS Outlook, gmail, my corporate exchange email and more - the result is always the same.

Given the above, the issue looks to be with the ntlworld email servers taking delivery of emails that have been addressed to myaccount@ntlworld.com through me@mydomain.com.

I've had two different emails back when the delay has been over 6hrs, they are below (details changed):

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on smtp07.mailcore.me.
The message identifier is:     2iuhER-0203sU-Gh
The subject of the message is: test 30-08-1438
The date of the message is:   Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:38:03 +0100
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
myaccount@ntlworld.com
(generated from me@mydomain.com)

AND

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on smtp07.mailcore.me.
The message identifier is:     2hWvdG-0003TG-Je
The subject of the message is: test
The date of the message is:   Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:15:04 +0100
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
myaccount@ntlworld.com
(generated from me@mydomain.com)

Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.58.11]:
421 mx6.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions

If anyone can offer any suggestions on what the issue might be, I am happy to hear them.  I can't change anything at my end so I need a suggestion to take back to VM to correct this.  I am IT literate and familiar with enterprise IT systems so feel free to use whatever technical jargon is deemed necessary.  Sadly the last mail server I implemented was sendmail running on a Sun Netra so I'm a bit out of touch in the email field.Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email domain forwarding issue

Hi emailwoes, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails forwarded from 123reg. 

I can see you have also popped a PM to me, please pop the header details across to me via PM so I can investigate this issue further. If using webmail you can find the header details by following this information

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Nigel_E
Settling in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This has also been happening to me. I spent two hours on the phone to the helpdesk and they determined it was not a known problem and therefore not a problem at all. I am experiencing this problem more and more and as you have explained it is nothing to do with the domain forwarding and everything to do with the Virgin server.

If you have a fix I would very much like to know.

0 Kudos
Nigel_E
Settling in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Do you have a solution for this as it is exactly the problem I am also experiencing.

Please let me know.

0 Kudos
Nigel_E
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

This is exactly the problem I have been having with forwarding email from a domain via the Virgin server. I spent two hours on the phone to the helpdesk who established it wasn't a known problem and hence not a problem at all. I am not receiving any mail at the moment and the problem appears to be completely random.

Have you established a reason for this yet?

I would welcome feedback on this frustrating issue.

Nigel

0 Kudos
emailwoes
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There are many threads on this topic, however, sadly my friend, there does not appear to be enough users for Virgin or 123-reg to actually care.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick summary fo you both. It's something to do with 123reg as you will read. It is also to do with VM. VM are rate limiting (look it up on Google please) from servers that are or they think are sending spam into the VM system. THis is part of their anti-spam measures. But it is having decidedly undesireable affects on legitimate mail.

123reg might have allowed their sending servers to get on the spam blacklists that VM use to check. It is 123reg's responsibility to get their servers de-listed not VM's

Mail receipt is delayed by the receiving servers at VM. The sender server keeps re-trying to send. But often these servers are configured to give up after a certain number of tries to stop them getting congested. VM are aware. They are trying to amend their rate limiting practices but so far their efforts have only had limited success. We have pointed out that rate limiting 123reg is a bit of cheek.

So now you know. It's a sorry tale but true nonetheless.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nigel_E, 

Apologies that I didn't get back to you sooner. As HowardML explained this is something we are currently looking into. 

If the emails are coming from blacklisted IP addresses then the rate limiting will kick in and this is correct to how we currently have our systems are set up. However we are investigating the amount of time the rate limiting in some cases as it is sometimes excessive which is why some of the emails are timing out. 

As soon as we have more news on this we will be sure to let the community know. 

I am sorry that I don't have more news on this at this time. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos