Menu
Williemo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email address no longer recognised

Hi - my wife has an ntlworld email address but recently has been unable to login to it on her laptop with the message "Unable to find username" though she has been using the email address for years. However her Samsung mobile phone is still syncing with the same email address, which seems weird. We moved house last year and were forced to leave virginmedia, but I wouldn't have thought that would have resulted in the email address being lost! Can anyone please advise what may be the problem? Many thanks - Willie M

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld email address no longer recognised

It is likely to be related to the house move.

Email accounts are supposed to be closed 90 days after you cease to be a customer but some accounts do seem to go on working for longer.  The first thing to go is VM webmail access which would seem to tie in with the experience your wife is having.  How long your email app via mobile access will continue is anyone's guess.  Whilst you do have access this way it should also work via an email client on your laptops such as Thunderbird or Outlook (if you have it).

A Forum Team member will reply to this post in a day or so and should be able to check the exact status of your email accounts once they have cleared security questions with you.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is likely to be related to the house move.

Email accounts are supposed to be closed 90 days after you cease to be a customer but some accounts do seem to go on working for longer.  The first thing to go is VM webmail access which would seem to tie in with the experience your wife is having.  How long your email app via mobile access will continue is anyone's guess.  Whilst you do have access this way it should also work via an email client on your laptops such as Thunderbird or Outlook (if you have it).

A Forum Team member will reply to this post in a day or so and should be able to check the exact status of your email accounts once they have cleared security questions with you.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Williemo

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems accessing your old Ntlworld email address, it is most likely what Graham said however I will send you a forum private message to gather more information, please reply if you would like us to verify it.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Willie,

I hope you don't mind me replying on Nicola's behalf - she's not in today and I'm looking after some of her messages for her.

Your email address is still in an active state on our systems, but will only be accessible via a client. Webmail access won't work.

Your client server settings are:

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name = smtp.ntlworld.com

SMTP SSL = Enabled

SMTP port = 465

SMTP authentication = Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username = Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name = imap.ntlworld.com

IMAP4 SSL = Enabled

IMAP4 port = 993

IMAP4 authentication = Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username = Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) = Disabled

This link will take you to our help page article which advises on how to set up your client. Once your emails are downloaded to your pc/laptop you will be able to save them if desired.

But I would urge you to take note that your VM email account could be removed at any time. Signing up for a free Internet (non-ISP based) email account is what you should be looking to do. 

Let us know if you require any further support with this Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

Hi Willie,

I hope you don't mind me replying on Nicola's behalf - she's not in today and I'm looking after some of her messages for her.

Your email address is still in an active state on our systems, but will only be accessible via a client. Webmail access won't work.

Fascinating.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why is that fascinating?

When a VM email account is in an orphaned state or pending closure VM webmail access is always the first to go.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I found it fascinating because I learnt something new (to me).

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos