Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 10 (288 Views)

ntlworld email access

I have an old email address with ntlworld. It is still active as I have an email inbox set up on my mac mini to receive them. However I can't log into the account online. Why is this? It says it doesn't recognise my username Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 2 of 10 (274 Views)

Re: ntlworld email access

[ Edited ]

This often evidence that the email address is in the process of being closed down.  You say it is an old ntlworld address - do you have a current Virgin Media broadband account to which this particular email address is attached?  VM and their legacy email addresses are supposed to close down 90 days after you cease to be a broadband customer.

Message 3 of 10 (257 Views)

I still have virgin broadband - I never ended my contract. Seems strange that he account is still active - still get emails to the address locally on my computer - but can't access them online via webmail as it doesn't recognise account...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 10 (254 Views)

Might it also be that you haven't accessed the address in the last 90 days. VM close these addresses down and delete them after 150 days. If that isn't the case and you have been in to it wait here. Sounds like a server error that the Forum Team can investigate for you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 10 (252 Views)

Thank you. It would be great if the forum team could investigate Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 10 (249 Views)

It will take them a few days to get to this thread. But they will.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10 (214 Views)

Hi Naomi79,

Welcome to our Community, glad you've joined Smiley Happy

Having client access but no webmail access is synonymous with an email account that is not linked to an active broadband service.

I suspect that you may have, at some point, changed home address or put your VM account in a different name etc, and that the email address in question has been left behind on the former account.

To help with this I shall need some information from you that I don't want posted publicly. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10 (184 Views)

Hi Naomi79,

Thanks for providing that information Smiley Happy

Your email address is linked to an active account and that all looks in order from here. Would you please attempt to access My Virgin Media (with your specified 3rd party email address) and let me know whether or not that is successful? Your email password will be the same and should therefore work.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 10 (178 Views)

[ Edited ]

It does not recognise my password or username.

When I click on reset password and enter the username  it says it is unable to find my username.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10 (170 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nothing to do with unused email addresses being deleted. There appears to be a system malfunction. Both of our email accounts have continuously failed authentication since about 9.30 this morning using Thunderbird. I just checked webmail, and while the bit about selecting all street signs worked (sigh!) the login didn't work there either.

[edit] I just checked My Virgin Media and this login was rejected as well.[/edit]

VM need to get this problem fixed pronto as users are being seriously inconvenienced or worse. As it looks like a corrupt or missing user details file, surely this can be recovered from backup. They do have a backup and audit trail I hope

0 Kudos