Menu
fatbelly51
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com password

Every time I open my Windows Live Mail program (on my pc - my laptop works fine) I am asked to enter my pop. user name and password.

When I try to log in with my Windows Live Mail password the following error appears.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Ntlworld (-.-------) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your username and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92

Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I don't know the original password (since this is what it seems to be asking for) because I now use my Windows Live Mail details.

I opened a Gmail account and added my ntlworld address as well. Gmail works fine but if I try to use the ntlworld account I'm told my password is out of date. Same problem with Outlook. 

Whats the answer?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com password

The first thing to do is to change the Windows Live mail settings for the account to the current recommended ones, which use port 995 and SSL on with authentication.  See the full settings here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/m-p/3166396#U3166396

The second thing to do is to reset the password.  You do this in My Virgin Media https://my.virginmedia.com/

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com password

@fatbelly51 has replied to me by Private Message to say that this is now solved.