Menu
Blackrock699
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com emails in VM account not deleted/read when accessed via Gmail

Hi, I could really do with some advice please. When VM introduced their restyled email platform based on Gmail, I started using Google to access new gmails and I set the account up to import all my ntlworld mail using the POP and SMTP settings shown on the VM help pages. Over the last few months, I've found that ntlworld emails have been taking longer and longer to appear in my Gmail account, often six to eight hours. Having checked my ntlworld account via VM's website, I've found that all these emails appear to have been unaffected by any actions taken in Gmail since I set it up - over thirteen thousand unread emails in the inbox! I want to continue accessing all mail via Google but need to deal with the backlog. I'm worried that if I simply delete them all through the VM email account, this may delete those emails I've filed and need to keep. In any case, that doesn't deal with the core problem of why the accounts aren't in sync. I've deleted and re-instated the ntlworld settings in the Gmail account but to no avail. Any help would be very much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com emails in VM account not deleted/read when accessed via Gmail

Following the closure of Gmail for ISPs Virgin Media moved to a different email platform. The one they now use doesn't respect pop delete commands.

See this post: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032/jump-to/first-unread-message
Blackrock699
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com emails in VM account not deleted/read when accessed via Gmail

Thanks Graham, that was a helpful link and explains the current situation. It recommends accessing emails via the IMAP protocol and I have previously enabled IMAP access in the settings of my Gmail account but it does say in brackets on the settings page 'Access Gmail from other clients using IMAP', so presumably that's why it won't delete the ntlworld mail in the VM account. Is there any other way of setting up an IMAP protocol that would help?

If there isn't an IMAP solution, do you know whether manually deleting all the emails in the VM account will also delete those ntlworld emails I have already filed and kept via Gmail account? Thanks once again for your help. Chris

0 Kudos