Menu
Melchizadeck
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com email problems

Hi

Just joined.

Hoping that any email problems that my wife is experiencing with her ntlworld account would have been resolved by now.

INBOX emails delayed by several days......Emails she wants to send end up in DRAFTS for some strange reason but not in SENT items......if she wants to delete items in TRASH it goes and then returns back......if she wants to delete any SENT items they don't go at all.......Oh and at times some emails she wants to send end up either in DRAFTS or stuck in OUTBOX.

Wife not happy at all.

So what's the lowdown..........when is this farce getting fixed ??????

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld.com email problems

Your Hotmail problems may have more than a little to do with this -

MICROSOFT is about to retire its Windows Live Mail service, and has warned Hotmail and Outlook.com email users to move to the web or choose a modern desktop app – or they could lose access to their email account.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/668443/Windows-10-Hotmail-Live-Mail-2012-Upgr...

Suggest you Google “hotmail not working” and read all about it.

Why do you think this is VM.s problem?

PS - Melchizedek is spelt thus – there is no “a” in it.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What is she using to look at emails?

Webmail or client such as Outlook on a PC/Laptop/Notebook/Tablet/iPad/Phone(apple or android)?

If email client Pop or IMAP?

If a client, what server and port settings are used? 

0 Kudos
Melchizadeck
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

I think that she was using PC as client with Outlook - IMAP

INCOMING SERVER - imap.virginmedia.com - PORT 993

OUTGOING SERVER - smtp.virginmedia.com - PORT 465

Having said that, she has noticed that she has inherited another email account with same email address. ( was not there before and is completely empty of any emails.)

Pointed this out to Virgin Media a few days ago but they were no help in identifying why it was there at all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You don’t say which version of Outlook but most are similar so comments should apply regardless -

1. Drafts

When you start to compose an email it may be a while before you finish it. You have the option to save a draft of it every few minutes. The interval is up to you but the default is about 3 minutes. (File/Options/Mail/save every nn minutes). The email remains in Drafts until such time as you hit Send.

2. Send

When you hit Send, the email is moved from Drafts to Outbox and a connection is established to the VM server. When sent, the email is moved from Outbox to Sent Items. If a connection cannot be made the email remains in Outbox until one is established.

Delays – yes there are some known delays in receiving emails from some sources largely down to problems with spam filters and volume bottlenecks.

Stuck in Outbox – means that you either don’t have an internet connection or that your server settings are wrong. Your settings appear to be correct. Is your internet connection reliable?

Bin etc – Outlook’s folder for deleted items is called Deleted Items. In VM’s webmail, it is called Trash. When VM was on Gmail it was called Bin. Where and why is she trying to delete items in something called one of these? All such folders can be automatically emptied. For Outlook see the Options settings for Deleted Items. VM’s webmail Trash is emptied approx every 30 days.

IMAP – is most useful when you have multiple devices and want to see a common view across all devices. Your wife may benefit from reading some guidance about IMAP and how it reflects changes across multiple devices. I suggest this - https://www.msoutlook.info/question/815

Accounts – if you have an account which you don’t recognise, you should call 150 (Broadband) to discuss. Don’t quote it’s name here – this is a public forum.

0 Kudos
Melchizadeck
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.

It appears that the ntl account using Outlook is the one which contains no emails at all.

But other ntl account has everything.

0 Kudos
Melchizadeck
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So now not only is my wife's ntlworld email account playing up as above but also now my Hotmail email account is not working as normal for the past 4 days.......thanks for nothing Virgin Media.
Have already been in touch with Virgin but still no correction to problem...... I think it's just a waste of time.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your Hotmail problems may have more than a little to do with this -

MICROSOFT is about to retire its Windows Live Mail service, and has warned Hotmail and Outlook.com email users to move to the web or choose a modern desktop app – or they could lose access to their email account.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/668443/Windows-10-Hotmail-Live-Mail-2012-Upgr...

Suggest you Google “hotmail not working” and read all about it.

Why do you think this is VM.s problem?

PS - Melchizedek is spelt thus – there is no “a” in it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You could also look at one of the blogs on this Forum:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Microsoft-are-changing-the-way-their-emails-sync/ba...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Melchizadeck
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the additional info.........and Melchizadeck is only a USER name not a REAL name btw.....hence the varied spelling of the word....Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does she see any warnings when she sends?  Check the status bar in the bottom right of Outlook.  Even if the send receive dialog doesn't pop up, there may be a yellow warning triangle showing.  If so double click this to bring up any error information.

Ravenstar68

Edit - BTW cool username - I've turned my pedantic head off today so I'll ignore the spelling lol.

You're not a fan of Time - the musical are you?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos