One to Watch
DavB

ntlworld.com address - problems sending email

Recently, over the last week or so, a problem has developed when sending emails using my .ntlworld.com email address. This problem occurs only occasionally, maybe one out of every five emails I send.

- Mac OS 10.6.8 using Mail v4.5

- When sending an email the progress bar at the bottom left in the Mail Activity window gets stuck half way. After a long pause it will then complete sending the email. However, no copy is left in my "Sent" folder on my Mac or in Webmail. Therefore I have no way of knowing whether or not the email has actually been sent.

- This is a problem, as I need to know definitively whether something has been sent or not. Also, I need to keep copies of my correspondence with clients (I'm self-employed and use the .ntlworld.com address for work purposes).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: ntlworld.com address - problems sending email

make sure the email configuration is up to date. If keeping copies is important then maybe use the virginmedia mail servers, since this will also keep a copy of mail sent by the client in webmail. Then if your client ever loses/corrupts its sent mail folder you still have a backup in webmail:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=D78BA863-ACDB-47E4-908B-282144054...

You can use the virginedia servers with any VM email address (@ntlworld.com included). You must ensure all the configuration is accounted for, including smtp authentication, port number stc.

Use your full @ntlworld.com email address as user name, together with password.

One to Watch
DavB

Slated, thanks for your reply.

I can confirm that my settings are the same as those shown in the page you linked.

My outgoing mail server is smtp.virginmedia.com, port 465, SSL enabled, authenticated by password, etc.

Again, it doesn't happen with every email I send, it's just some.

Like, this morning, at 10:21 I sent an email to someone. I know it was received it because he's since replied to me. However, that email doesn't appear in either my email client's "Sent" folder or in the "Sent Messages" folder visible when I access webmail.

At 10:36 I sent a test email, which does appear in both folders.

I was wondering if the problem might possibly be related to my new modem. A Virgin technician replaced my old modem (faulty) with the new Super Hub router/modem last week. It seems to be working fine but the 'lost' email problem only started occuring after this. Is that a possibility?

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

I don't see how the modem replacement would do this.

Check in webmail 'all mail' and 'bin' for the missing message.

If you know it was received then it must have been sent (there's logic!), so the mystery is why you have no record of it.

Also check in webmail 'details' link (foot of page) that access times correspond only with your own use (sadly the IP addresses and mode of access are garbage, but the timings are accurate).

One to Watch
DavB

[ Edited ]

Thanks.

Yes, this is interesting.

So... the email I'm refering to doesn't appear in the "Sent Messages" (which is the folder I initially looked at and referred to in the above post) folder of Webmail. But it *does* appear in the "Sent Mail" section (which I've checked just now). However, it doesn't appear in the sent folder of my email client on my Mac.

Do you know what the difference is between the two folders on Webmail ("Sent Messages" & "Sent Mail")? And why would, seemingly randomly, an email be classed as a message and not an email?

Anyway... at least I know now where to check if it happens again. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

are you using IMAP for incoming mail (as opposed to POP3)?

IMAP will synchronise everything between webmail and the client, including folders/labels. So folders created in the client will be created as labels in webmail, and vice-versa.

So if your client creates its own 'Sent Message' folder this will be synched into webmail as a 'Sent Messages' label - duplicating the purpose of the existing 'sent mail' label standard in webmail. Most clients allow you to customise what they do with sent mail to overcome this problem.

Also, any deletions etc in one platform affect the other, but not always how you would imagine. See:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

One to Watch
DavB

Thanks.

Yes, I'm using IMAP.

My client has created the "Sent Messages" label/folder in webmail. For whatever reason the 'missing' emails aren't ending up in that folder (although they are actually being sent and received as normal, as proved by checking the "Sent Mail" folder). So, I couldn't see them either in my client and I was looking in the wrong place in webmail.

It's fine, now I know that I can check by looking in the real "Sent Mail" folder. I've changed my preferences so I can 'see' that folder in IMAP and it's now appearing in my client.

Thanks for your help. I was worried I'd have to start BCC'ing myself on every email.... which would've been a major pain!

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

DavB wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, I'm using IMAP.

My client has created the "Sent Messages" label/folder in webmail. For whatever reason the 'missing' emails aren't ending up in that folder (although they are actually being sent and received as normal, as proved by checking the "Sent Mail" folder). So, I couldn't see them either in my client and I was looking in the wrong place in webmail.

It's fine, now I know that I can check by looking in the real "Sent Mail" folder. I've changed my preferences so I can 'see' that folder in IMAP and it's now appearing in my client.

Thanks for your help. I was worried I'd have to start BCC'ing myself on every email.... which would've been a major pain!

all sounds good then. Possibly you earlier managed to change your client's config (inadvertently) so that it no longer stored its own sent messages (most clients allow this). In this case it will make sense to keep it like this, since as long as you use smtp.virginmedia.com the server itself will be keeping a copy of sent mail.