Menu
edwards_n
Tuning in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com Email issues

For the last 2 weeks my ntlworld.com email (IMAP - SMTP set up) has not been working either on my iphone or my PC via Outlook. I can receive emails just fine but when I try to respond I get a number of different errors such as: 

Server error: '453 Too Many Recipients (VM502)'

But I am only sending my emails to one person, so this is wrong.

I need someone to fix this. It CANNOT continue like this.

Please advise.

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 34 of 42
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld.com Email issues

They look to be cleaning up old accounts.  Are you using Outlook?  If so could you have a look at my post here

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/32371...

And let us know what SMTP error you are seeing.  It should tell us if it's simply a wrong password or something else.

Ravenstar68

Edit - NVM I've just seen Nicola's post.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
edwards_n
Tuning in
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Just to clariify - I have all the correct SMTP and IMAP settings per the virgin web site below. Please let me know if these need to be set to something else. My email has worked for years and just stopped approx 2 weeks ago sending so it has to be the SMTP server where the issue is. I wonder if Virgin is trying to frustrate all their ntlworld email customers so much they switch over to a virgin address. It seems strange they would not fix an issue for so long.

Please let me know how to fix this ASAP. 

Manual configuration settings for email

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

SMTP server name

smtp.ntlworld.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

IMAP4 server name

imap.ntlworld.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

0 Kudos
scouser73
Superfast
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi edwards_n,

There is a continuing problem with email accounts ending in ntlworld.com.

You can change the incoming and outgoing server details to the following;

pop3.virginmedia.comimap.virginmedia.comsmtp.virginmedia.com

The information comes from James_W, who is a Community Lead on the forums.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Email-client-errors/td-p/3083796

Regards,

scouser73

152 Mbp/s Broadband - Windows 10 [Home] -
Ubuntu 17.10 - SuperHub 3.0 - Nokia 5
0 Kudos
edwards_n
Tuning in
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

As you state I still seem to be having issues almost on a daily basis with my ntlworld.com email address. I have changed the SMTP and IMAP server settings to virginmedia.com and everything did seem to be working yesterday Saturday, but today Sunday evening the system is not allowing me to send emails again. I just don't understand how the system can be working and then stop working almost on an hourly basis. Both my wife and I have ntlworld.com email addresses which we have had for years so we don't really want to change but I sense Virgin just want us to stop using these addresses so they don't have to support the ntlworld address anymore.

Please let me know if you have any other advice.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Server error: '453 Too Many Recipients (VM502)' means that you have exceeded your daily limit for emails.

If you are using webmail, your daily limit is 500 emails. Using an email client such as Outlook, the limit is 100. So, 4 emails each copied to 25 recipients via Outlook would break your daily limit and you then cannot send any more for the next 24 hours - even just one to a single person. How many emails are you sending on a daily basis?

Worst-case scenario is that your PC or email account is sending mail (spam) for someone else. If that was the case you would probably have received a warning notice from V M by now.  However, if there is any chance of your account details having being compromised then you must change your account password and security details - and remember to change your email client settings with the new password info.

edwards_n
Tuning in
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I am often only sending 1 email to 1 person. Also it works fine if I log in and use my email via the Virgin web site, it is just when I am using my email client on my iPhone or PC running outlook. I believe Virgin just keep having issues.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Well, if you aren't using up your daily email quota, then somebody else is. I hope you have changed your security credentials.

If the servers had lost the ability to count to 100, there would be a multitude of complaints.

I'll leave this for the Forum team to pick up. They may have to pass it to the email team to scrutinise server logs for your account.

@ForumTeam - can you have a look at this please.

0 Kudos
edwards_n
Tuning in
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - My wife's ntlworld account seems to have more issues than mine but we are often both down at the same time. I will change our passwords on both accounts and see if this helps but I don't think this is the issue.

Why does the web based email work fine but not when we are using an email client?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Because web based email has higher sending limits than the SMTP servers have.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

As Ravenstar68 says, the daily limit for webmail is 500, as opposed to 100 for email clients.

In general terms, email clients are more problematic than webmail because

they are yet another link in the chain

with yet another set of configuration parameters which users frequently get wrong

and they require a separate set of server applications to interact with the users desktop.

The more links in the chain, the more chance of errors all round.

0 Kudos