Menu
kendraf
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

main virgin media email account mailbox deleted

ok so i read my virgin media email through outlook - and today my account mailbox was deleted

Many hours on the phone later and i get to create a new email but my old mailbox is gone and cannot be recreated as it is a server "thing". My frustration level is really high knowing how easy it is to make an email address and mailbox and being told by a floor manager that there is nothing they can do and it is nothing to do with backups they just can't.... ugh

If you have not signed in to the website for three months the mailbox will be deleted I am told.. ok I have not signed in for three years but use it everyday (I use outlook because it is an email programme you support!) - why now /sigh

Frustrated of London

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: main virgin media email account mailbox deleted

I don't know where they get that rubbish from.

I have had my Ntlworld mailboxes (6 of them) since 2001. Always used an email client (Outlook Express initially, then Windows Mail & subsequently Thunderbird). I very rarely have reason to sign into the website, but have never had any problems with mailboxes.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
kendraf
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I am just frustrated about the claim that it is not possible to recreate the mailbox. Any self respecting IT person knows that a mailbox can be deleted and then recreated if needed. M

0 Kudos
kendraf
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So what do you think the chances of having my mailbox reinstated are?

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've had an NTL mailbox since 2007 and I might log into webmail about every two years.  I've used it with Outlook Express and now Thunderbird   It has yet to disappear.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

kendraf wrote:

ok so i read my virgin media email through outlook - and today my account mailbox was deleted

Many hours on the phone later and i get to create a new email but my old mailbox is gone and cannot be recreated as it is a server "thing". My frustration level is really high knowing how easy it is to make an email address and mailbox and being told by a floor manager that there is nothing they can do and it is nothing to do with backups they just can't.... ugh

If you have not signed in to the website for three months the mailbox will be deleted I am told.. ok I have not signed in for three years but use it everyday (I use outlook because it is an email programme you support!) - why now /sigh

Frustrated of London

Signing in using an email client is effectively the same as using webmail, you are signing in!  https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/virginmediamail.html

From the 8th September 2014, you’ll need to access your Virgin Media Mail mailbox at least once every 90 days. This can be via our Webmail service, an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, or from a mobile device.

Being informed otherwise is somewhat misleading (or a lie) depending on how badly you are affected. 

Not so much a "server" thing then, more a VM ineptitude/don't care/it's a "free", added value, non supported service(?).

Get an ISP independent email service, VM don't really care.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Customers running with these older email addresses are not aware of the risks involved with their continued use until it is too late. Virgin Media need to change this and state the risks clearly so appropriately action can be taken by customers; like that suggested by Sololobo

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kendraf,

I really wish we'd reached your post sooner than this. But do please accept my apologies for any misinformation you've received.

If you had been using your email address - via webmail, via client, via forwarding - then it will not trigger automated mailbox deletion.

It sounds as though there's been a mistake made here. Please confirm a few details with me by replying to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get this sorted out for you.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos