Menu
GeofffH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mails stuck in outbox

Hi

I have an intermittent problem with mail getting stuck in my outbox.  I'm on Windows 10.  I've created 6 emails in the last two hours - 3 went OK and are in my sent box and 3 stayed in the outbox.

There are no attachments on the mails and if I click on the mail the only options I get are delete or move (except when I select move and choose a mailbox nothing happens.)  The reply, reply all & forward options are all greyed out.

There are other non-primary accounts and they work OK.

I also get an occasional message saying the account details are out of date - I can then choose fix or dismiss.  If I choose fix it asks for my password which I then type in and save.

As far as I can tell I have had no problem receiving incoming emails.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: mails stuck in outbox

Odd? Most people reading this would consider it downright lunacy to entrust their email data to something they did not even know the name of.

That said, I suspect that you are using the Microsoft default email application provided with Windows 10. And if that’s the case, your data is probably relatively safe. You probably found the application by clicking the blue “email” box on the Windows 10 Start screen.

If this is indeed the case, I strongly suggest you do some reading up on how to use it. Put “using Windows 10 email” into Google and read some of the many articles on the subject.

If you had been using the VM Webmail application, you would be logging into that using your VM email address and password via one of the 2 “email” links on the VM homepage (at www.virginmedia.com). Note that any emails you “lost” as a result of deleting and re-installing your email client may still be on the VM server – depends on how you “deleted” the application. So, I suggest you view the VM Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60tXSS5I76c) which gives an overview of Webmail and then have a look at your Webmail folders to see what is there.

Note that while most email clients have an “Outbox” folder, VM’s Webmail does not. It has a folder called “Sent Objects” instead, and any unsent email will usually stick in the “Drafts” folder if it fails to send.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Suggest you look at Mozilla Thunderbird. Others are available of course. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/&ve...

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And the name of your email client is.........?

GeofffH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This probably sounds odd!    I don't know, it's whichever is provided by Virgin Media as the email client.  It doesn't say on it, there's no "about" option and it's probably the most basic email package available.  No more mails got stuck.  I removed the whole account from my laptop & reloaded it which deleted them all.  Fortunately there weren't many and I was able to recreate them from memory.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Odd? Most people reading this would consider it downright lunacy to entrust their email data to something they did not even know the name of.

That said, I suspect that you are using the Microsoft default email application provided with Windows 10. And if that’s the case, your data is probably relatively safe. You probably found the application by clicking the blue “email” box on the Windows 10 Start screen.

If this is indeed the case, I strongly suggest you do some reading up on how to use it. Put “using Windows 10 email” into Google and read some of the many articles on the subject.

If you had been using the VM Webmail application, you would be logging into that using your VM email address and password via one of the 2 “email” links on the VM homepage (at www.virginmedia.com). Note that any emails you “lost” as a result of deleting and re-installing your email client may still be on the VM server – depends on how you “deleted” the application. So, I suggest you view the VM Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60tXSS5I76c) which gives an overview of Webmail and then have a look at your Webmail folders to see what is there.

Note that while most email clients have an “Outbox” folder, VM’s Webmail does not. It has a folder called “Sent Objects” instead, and any unsent email will usually stick in the “Drafts” folder if it fails to send.

GeofffH
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is just the Windows 10 email.  It's a bit basic.  I guess what I would prefer is an email client where I can still use my virginmedia.com address but with a bit more functionality

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Suggest you look at Mozilla Thunderbird. Others are available of course. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/&ve...