Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to report a fault to virgin ?

Now I am very annoyed. I didn't spot the potential TT issue but my "guru" has done.  This might change everything. But then I'm happy to admit to being a fallible human being. 

Edit - but then again given what Graham_A has said below I could still be right!  

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

TT migration is likely to be a red herring here. The op has a blueyonder address and has stated in an earlier post that he has been with VM for many years.
Tiredeyes69
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Audi TT not talk talk. As if I would go talk talk. I'm just unhappy with the level of help from Virgin.
You Superusers don't get paid by them, yet here you are, doing their "helping" for free.
They need to provide an email address, lets say vm_support@(not sure here, might be BY or maybe NTL or VM)
Which domain shall we have?
But will it get routed correctly ?
then I can squirt an email across, and some guy who gets paid for this sh 1t
looks into the issues.
also, they could put a a little box in the end of the web page, where they can email you back to a different email address!
Look at that, I just figured out a way VM could provide a way that their paying customers can enlighten them of issues to poor European engineers installing amazing machines that will hopefully start to reduce the cost of life saving cancer treatments.
But I digress, I haven't got time to web chat sh 1t about rebooting stuff and trying different things for hours.
I just want them to be aware that I have email issues.
I might just take my 10K worth of 17 years to another provider.
vote with your feet they say.
0 Kudos
Tiredeyes69
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

What program can I grab to see the headers & footers & error text for my problems?
Just downloaded and running eM Client to grab my emails.
Its not downloading my emails
Error username or password incorrect.
How can I get detail of server rejected in a text file.
Then it would be nice if I can send it to VM to sort out my issue
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Please stop rambling.

Inserting random issues like "My wife's TT is depreciating" does not help your case.  As it merely serves to confuse people.  What on earth has the value of your wife's car got to do with your email issue.

There are separate IOS issues which can cause users problems, so it's always worth examining those, however, based on the fact you're having issues with eMClient as well, it's unlikely they are having an effect here.

Error messages don't have headers or footers.  So if you are trying to make yourself sound clever by asking how you find them, you are doing the complete opposite.

The most telling error message "Incorrect username or password"

Can you log into my.virginmedia.com with that username and password combination?

@Jen_A Could you have a look into possible account issues here?

Tim

PS - BTW while you might not care if people can read your email, the fact is that if your username and password are transmitted in the clear, then hackers can read them.  Once they have access to your email account, they can then use that to reset passwords and gain access to any other accounts that use the same email address for logging in.

Add to that, if you set up the right settings now, INCLUDING the ports, then should Virgin Media turn off the old settings, you won't have to change your settings again.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tiredeyes69
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

And your attitude stinks
Would you talk to your mother like that.
No.
Don't talk to me like that then.
Every packet sent and received on IP gets a header n footer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Tiredeyes69 wrote:
And your attitude stinks
Would you talk to your mother like that.
No.
Don't talk to me like that then.
Every packet sent and received on IP gets a header n footer.

IP packets contain a number of headers.

TCP Header
IP header

There's also an Ethernet header that's used when transmitting between neighbouring devices on the same network segment.

But no footers.  The IP and TCP headers aren't going to provide any extra information here.  I've already, flagged this to Jen_A so she can look into username and password error messages.

I'm sorry you feel my attitude stinks, however, we are trying to help, but you do not help your case by posting random spurious information into the thread.  Nor do you help your case by rejecting perfectly sound advice.

And yes I would tell my mother exactly the same thing.

Tim

Edit BTW - If you do want to waste your time getting at the IP and TCP headers, then you can download Wireshark, however they are not going to tell you anything useful, you are getting to the server, if you weren't then you would not be seeing an Incorrect Username or Password error you'd get a connection error message instead.

Wireshark can be found here

https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tiredeyes69
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why hasnt VM got email support?
I need to get in touch via email and ask them.
Wish I didnt have to go via this "community"
@Jen_A
Do you have some way of communication via email?
Not got time to do web chat.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tiredeyes69,

We shall be happy to deal with this via our Community for you. I have sent you a PM requesting some personal data that I don't want you to post publicly. Please reply when you can (just click on the purple envelope icon, top right of page to view my message) and I'll see what we can do.

To be honest, since yesterday, I am seeing a few issues like the one you report and am investigating these. Hopefully your private reply will enable me to gather some more information on this so we can progress towards a resolution. If your issue turns out to be unrelated then I shall let you know. But basic SMTP checks of the email address you registered to this Forum with (and the other related email accounts) don't reveal any obvious faults.

Apologies that I don't have a straightforward answer for you, along the lines of 'this is what is wrong, and this is how we'll fix it'. But we shall do everything we can to identify the fault and, where appropriate, escalate to the parties best equipped to make the necessary amendments.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone 6+ Apple iOS email not working

Hi Tiredeyes69,

Thanks for letting me know (via PM) that everything is sorted. I think it was probably the password change that did it rather than me successfully testing it on a client. But happy that this is a problem no longer Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos