Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
wigvet

help - cant send e-mails using old tesco.net address

I have been a virginmedia customer for over six months now and have no trouble contuing to use my old e-mail tesco address ending @tesco.net

suddenly whilst i can still receive e-mail I am getting the following error when i attempt to send:

account 'pop.tesco.net, Server 'smpt.tesco.net', Protocol SMTP, Server Response: '554 Authentication Failed, must login', Port:25. Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:554, Error Number: 0X800CCC79

have rang

i) tesco - they said I need SMTP details from Virgin

ii) virginmedia - they said we can't help pu your problem on google!

so here goes - can anyone PLEASE help

thank you

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Re: help - cant send e-mails using old tesco.net address

Sounds like you previously had Internet from Tesco and so used their email.
As you have cancelled Tesco, they have disabled your email.

You now use Virgin, so you have Virginmedia email.

You should have been assigned (or you picked) a Virginmedia.com email address and so you can now use that.

Alternatively, create an independent email account e.g. Google / Hotmail / FastMail etc.

Whichever you do, remember to let your contacts know the new address.

See http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-security-changes-for-sending-mail-via-SMTP/td-p/5659... if you want to configure for Virgin.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

wigvet wrote:

I have been a virginmedia customer for over six months now and have no trouble contuing to use my old e-mail tesco address ending @tesco.net

suddenly whilst i can still receive e-mail I am getting the following error when i attempt to send:

account 'pop.tesco.net, Server 'smpt.tesco.net', Protocol SMTP, Server Response: '554 Authentication Failed, must login', Port:25. Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:554, Error Number: 0X800CCC79

have rang

i) tesco - they said I need SMTP details from Virgin

ii) virginmedia - they said we can't help pu your problem on google!

so here goes - can anyone PLEASE help

thank you

If you haven't already done so, try enabling authentication by either of these methods:

• using your tesco.net username and password in the smpt (sending) server configuration
  • using 'log into incoming mail serverbefore sending mail'

Capture.JPG

Making Waves
stephenmbennett

This has just happened to me as well.  It looks like mail.tesco.net (their SMTP connection) no longer allows connections from non-tesco internet connections.  (They have always said this - but it has always worked for me when I was on NTL then Virgin, when Virgin took over that internet connection - but tesco are upgrading their email servers at the moment, so it looks like they have tightened up their security).

The solution that worked for me, is to say smtp.ntlworld.com is the SMTP server in the email client for the tesco.net account.  No authentication is required.  That is, when sending emails for the tesco.net account with the client it will send through the virgin connection.  (I use smtp.ntlworld.com as my virgin email is a @ntlworld email.  I don't know if you need a diferent smtp if you have a different @).  BEFORE it will work you have to tell virgin to allow emails through from your tesco.net account.  This is done by login to web client, going to settings, then accounts, then adding a new "send mail as" for your xxx@tesco.net address.  There send a verification email to that which you have to complete - then it should work fine.  You need to decide which "reply from" option to use.  I went for "Reply from the same address to which the message was sent",

I hope that helps.

Stephen

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
SteveHawdin

Its actually quite simple go to tools internet accounts , Double click on account name. Go to servers then check the my server requires authentication box. I used same settings as incoming mail server under settings now it works fine

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

stephenmbennett wrote:

This has just happened to me as well.  It looks like mail.tesco.net (their SMTP connection) no longer allows connections from non-tesco internet connections.  (They have always said this - but it has always worked for me when I was on NTL then Virgin, when Virgin took over that internet connection - but tesco are upgrading their email servers at the moment, so it looks like they have tightened up their security).

The solution that worked for me, is to say smtp.ntlworld.com is the SMTP server in the email client for the tesco.net account.  No authentication is required until VM finally upgrade their ntlworld servers.  That is, when sending emails for the tesco.net account with the client it will send through the virgin connection.  (I use smtp.ntlworld.com as my virgin email is a @ntlworld email.  I don't know if you need a diferent smtp if you have a different @ no, any VM subscriber can use any of their email servers - I happily use smtp.ntlworld.com for my @blueyonder addresses ).  BEFORE it will work you have to tell virgin to allow emails through from your tesco.net account.  This is done by login to web client, going to settings, then accounts, then adding a new "send mail as" for your xxx@tesco.net address.  There send a verification email to that which you have to complete - then it should work fine.  You need to decide which "reply from" option to use.  I went for "Reply from the same address to which the message was sent",

I hope that helps.

Stephen

also note that, since it does not use authentication, smtp.ntlworld.com is restricted to operating via your home connection. So if you take you laptop and connect elsewhere, or set up on your mobile and connect via 3G, then it wont work. Then you will need to use the smtp.virginmedia.com server with authentication.

Fresh as a Daisy
Gordino

Had the same problem  using Tesco e-mail address after searching the web and trying stuff I found a simple

answer to the problem- open up Outlook go to tools- accounts- settings-e-mail on that page click repair 

enter your tesco e-mail password twice [case sensitive]and thats it after the first go fails click retry.

Good Luck, Gordino.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Gordino

Had the same problem  using Tesco e-mail address after searching the web and trying stuff I found a simple

answer to the problem- open up Outlook go to tools- accounts- settings-e-mail on that page click repair 

enter your tesco e-mail password twice [case sensitive]and thats it after the first go fails click retry.

Good Luck, Gordino.

Please use plain text.