Menu
mitch84
Superfast
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

greyed out emails with line through them?

Hi

All the emails i have moved to trash in Apple mail still appear in my webmail inbox but greyed out with a line through them.

Is this a normal?, I have a @ntlworld address and use imap settings.

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: greyed out emails with line through them?

The grayed out strike-through text in your webmail inbox is normal and indicates that the email has been deleted in an IMAP client but not permanently (purged). When you empty (purge) Apple Mail's Trash folder the deletion becomes permanent (for the IMAP client) and your inbox will no longer show those emails. However, your  webmail's Trash folder will now contain those emails and “On the first of each month, any messages in the SPAM or Trash folders that are over 30 days old are ....”

If you change the following setting in webmail the permanent deletion occurs immediately:

1. Click ⚙, then Settings
  2. Make sure Advanced Settings is ticked (located lower left)
  3. Click Email
  4. Then under Email, Common, tick Permanently remove deleted email messages

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The grayed out strike-through text in your webmail inbox is normal and indicates that the email has been deleted in an IMAP client but not permanently (purged). When you empty (purge) Apple Mail's Trash folder the deletion becomes permanent (for the IMAP client) and your inbox will no longer show those emails. However, your  webmail's Trash folder will now contain those emails and “On the first of each month, any messages in the SPAM or Trash folders that are over 30 days old are ....”

If you change the following setting in webmail the permanent deletion occurs immediately:

1. Click ⚙, then Settings
  2. Make sure Advanced Settings is ticked (located lower left)
  3. Click Email
  4. Then under Email, Common, tick Permanently remove deleted email messages

mitch84
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Great explanation!

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
ntlworldrefugee
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What about e-mails that I haven't deleted in Apple mail. why are they greyed out and lined through?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi ntlworldrefugee and thanks for posting your query.

Have you already removed this mail from webmail by any chance? If you're using IMAP then this maybe why they are then greyed out on your client.

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Annoide
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Have the same problem, but do not wish the emails to be deleted. In fact the original emails are being posted on my wife's emails and crossed out on mine???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

From the limited information provided I can only suggest you look at the forward rule to see whether it deletes an email after processing. If that does not help then post back here with more details, i.e. email client, how emails are forwarded, etc.

0 Kudos
nh2012
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm having a very similar problem, first seen a couple of weeks ago. Normally, I access email via two IMAP clients (PC and iPhone), and everything works as you would expect; deleting a message moves it to the IMAP "Trash" folder, visible on both devices. However, recently I was only accessing email via the iPhone, and I discovered that a message had vanished from my inbox (I don't think I deleted it but I might have done so accidentally). Looking on webmail showed the message still there but greyed out and with a line through it. One other message appeared the same, others that I know I had deleted were moved to Trash as normal. From webmail, I could move or forward this email, but while forwarding worked, moving just left it greyed out in the new folder. What I want to do is restore the message so that it is visible in all IMAP clients. I have read the earlier comments, but there is no local Trash folder on the iPhone that I can see, so they do not appear to offer a solution. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If I recall correctly, try:

1. Open Mail app
  2. Select Mailboxes
  3. Select Trash
0 Kudos
nh2012
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did that: it isn't in that folder (although almost everything else I deleted is). In fact, there seems a whole block of time where there aren't any deleted messages, yet I think I deleted some most days. I was using unreliable WiFi at times so I can believe that some operations didn't complete correctly, but I can see the message in webmail (though nowhere else) and simply want to recover it.

0 Kudos