Menu
BEF
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

emails marked as read before opening them

I see this has been asked before with NO SOLUTION does anyone know if this problem is ever going to be rectified by VM? it is soooo frustrating when you just select and incoming email and it automatically marks itself "read"

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: emails marked as read before opening them

wrote:

I see this has been asked before with NO SOLUTION does anyone know if this problem is ever going to be rectified by VM? it is soooo frustrating when you just select and incoming email and it automatically marks itself "read"

Selecting an unread email via its checkbox to maintain its unread state in all views

All Replies
coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I'm making the following assumptions:

1) You're referring to the Virgin Webmail service not an email client on your pc or phone

2) That you can see the contents of the selected email in the viewing pane (to the right of the list of emails) as soon as you select it.

If those assumptions are correct you can solve your issue  by changing the view in Webmail to 'List'.

You can do that by clicking on the word 'View' to the right of the screen. This gives the options 'Vertical', 'Compact', 'Horizontal' - you presumably have your view currently set to one of those options and you need to change it to 'List'.

Give that a try and see what you think.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
BEF
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that didn't work, I tried every setting in the VIEW but they all did the same thing. as soon as the email is selected it changes to "read" without actually opening it?!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Open Webmail with “View” options -

List/Folder View/Checkboxes/Exact date - all ticked – and nothing else ticked. 

Unread emails have a red envelope next to the “select” box. Sender, Subject and date are all in bold – signifying that the email is unread. 

Select an unread email by a tick in the select box. Whole line is highlighted in red. UN-select by clearing the tick and the email reverts to the unread state. 

Select the email by a tick in the select box, move it to another folder – and it appears in the new location in the UNREAD state. 

Like Coenoby, I don’t see any problem. 

Which versions of browser and operating system are you using?

0 Kudos
BEF
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh I see that now - yes that works, the only thing is I like to be able to view the message before actually clicking it to open?

0 Kudos
BEF
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I forgot I am on windows 7 browser is Firefox - email is the old ntlworld.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wrote:

Selecting an unread email via its checkbox to maintain its unread state in all views

coenoby
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@BEF wrote:

Oh I see that now - yes that works, the only thing is I like to be able to view the message before actually clicking it to open?

I'm not a fan of VM  webmail and I don't use it.

However, to be fair I think that most email clients that I have used operate the same way as webmail if you have the reading pane open by default.  In that case the email that you select appears in the reading pane and therefore it gets marked as read. It's definitely not a bug with the VM system.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
BEF
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Great that one works for me! Superuser - Thank you all for your superior knowledge.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Webmail does not provide a "Preview" facility. Some email clients such as MS Outlook for example, do however. 

Personally I see no benefit in reading every incoming email in preview mode as opposed to open mode.

0 Kudos