Menu
F1JonB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

email support for NTL

My wife called 789 (about 14:00 today) from her mobile for help with her NTL email, it keeps requesting a password.

She had a call back from an unannouced assistant with a ref # she had been given, he requested she download a software package called anydesk which he then used to look around her PC, running the CMD prompt and checking through system 32 files.

At the end of conversation he said she had many warnings on PC and had been hacked and she should buy some anti hacking tool and network protection tool from him.

This sounds very suspicious to me, is this a genuine Virgin support desk service he is providing, if not then how did he so quickly get our details, ie within less than 5 minutes of us calling 789, he was calling us back?

Just trying to establish if he has compromised our security or if I need not be too concerned, thanks, Jon.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: email support for NTL

I have asked the Forum Team to look at this urgently. Do not worry. But I want to get them on your case as son as possible.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi F1JonB

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope top right corner) for some additional info so we can look into this further.

Kind regards,

Ty

Mod team 

0 Kudos
F1JonB
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No emails

Can you help? we have had no emails on the PC, ipad or phone since late afternoon on Wednesday. I have tried ringing the 150 and 789 also I have been into the shop that told me to google "forgotten password" nothing seems to work.  This is frustrating... any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No emails

I have merged your two threads or this is going to become impossible to manage given all the circumstances. Please don't make things more difficult than they already are by posting twice about the same issue. The Mods and Forum Team are engaged with your issues - we know this from behind the scenes discussions about our concerns as Superusers about what happened here.

The password issues are not uncommon with VM e-mail. The usual cure for this is to go into My Virginmedia and change the password for the account - you can chose a new one or use the existing one. This causes the VM servers to resync and cures the issue. But because of the way this is being handled by VM I want you to lay off doing anything. I am going to refer this thread back to the Mods and the Forum Team to pursue getting this issue sorted.

Be patient. Don't post again until asked by the Teams if they want more information and also respond to any requests for personal information by private message.

We've done all we can. The Forum staff are great at solving this kind of thing, but you need to be patient still. @ModTeam  @ForumTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No emails

@F1JonB

You are not really helping yourself and others by marking anything as a helpful answer when your issue isn't solved. Use Kudos to give thanks if you want. Mark as helpful only when the issue is solved. Please un-mark the answer. Just be patient and we'll get this sorted for you. But you need to help us by not adding confusion to the mix. I know it is frustrating but we'll get you over the line.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt Howard, always nice to follow you.... well most of the time Smiley Tongue

Hello F1JonB

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry for what happened, we are following this up via private message with you but if I may just come back to the email issue it looks to be because the mailboxes are on a disconnected account and will automatically disable on or after 90 days. Do you have an active broadband account with us at the moment?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team