Menu
muffmasterh
Dialled in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

email search facility now restricted to 30 items

as hard as it is trying to find an old email the search seems to have restricted itself down from 100 items to 30 and is worse than useless

of course no of this is helped by the fact that emails are not seperated into easily sorted pages so if you know the email you want was around 6 months ago it would take you several days just to scroll down the past months worth let alone back 6 months of more

so we are now stuck with the most recent 30 items only in the search

oh and i have no idea where to find the advanced search function either since the wrench function does no work for me...

Help !!! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: email search facility now restricted to 30 items

If you are using a mobile device then you will not see the advanced option and instead the following will appear as you type your search.

2016-10-31-02.jpeg

IMHO, either use an email client (like Thunderbird) where searching is straight forward or find an email provider better suited to your needs.

0 Kudos
muffmasterh
Dialled in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Nope am using a desktop so be helpful if somebody could tell me where to find the advanced options please.

And getting a new email provider won't help me with my current email address, that means a new email.

and does anybody from virgin know why the search is now reduced to last 30 from last 100....  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

After you have typed the search the Show advanced filters option appears
2016-10-31-03.jpeg

0 Kudos
muffmasterh
Dialled in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

sadly not on my pc, on my main pc , the search option on the left does not function, i have to use the magnifying glass icon top right to seach.

this function does work on my other pc so i'll try that there

question is if i get into the advanced option will it let me extend the search limit above 30 items

and still nobody has explained why VM have reduced the search to the first 100 items to first 30....100 was bad enough 30 is useless !!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

muffmasterh wrote:

sadly not on my pc, on my main pc , the search option on the left does not function, i have to use the magnifying glass icon top right to seach.

this function does work on my other pc so i'll try that there

Virgin Media Mail's search function only searches the currently selected folder (not including sub-folders). For example, if email is stored under a year folder subdivided in months then selecting and searching the folder named 2016 would return nothing even if the November folder contained a match; the November folder would have to be selected for the match to return.

question is if i get into the advanced option will it let me extend the search limit above 30 items

The advanced option allows further reduction of result set returned by start / end dates; it will not increase the cached data beyond the 30 at a time.

and still nobody has explained why VM have reduced the search to the first 100 items to first 30....100 was bad enough 30 is useless !!

You will need to wait for the ForumTeam to answer why the search results are returned 30 at a time instead of the previous 100 at a time.

FYI, Using Search in Virgin Media Mail

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

muffmasterh wrote:

The likely cause of this is -

(a) an out-of-date browser, or, (b) an out-of-date version of Windows, or both.

What are you using and which versions?

muffmasterh
Dialled in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

my emails are not foldered, they are just inbox sent etc etc so yes i understand i am only looking in my inbox

0 Kudos
muffmasterh
Dialled in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

BillC45 wrote:

muffmasterh wrote:

The likely cause of this is -

(a) an out-of-date browser, or, (b) an out-of-date version of Windows, or both.

What are you using and which versions?

google chrome and windows 10

ironically the vm email system works far better on my old desktop which has a much older version of windows. Oh and its exactly the same if i use IE as a browser so its an issue viz between my desktop and vm mail, it is not an old desktop either and like i say it works better on my old desktop which is not new. 

So I am afraid the cause of my problems is one of the less likely ones......VM couldn't work out why at the time either saying it was probably teething problems with the new system....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I also use Chrome and Windows 10. 

I have just searched my whole Inbox for a subject matter which features regularly therein.

The search comes up with 214 results. There is therefore not a limit of 30. Nor is there a limit of 100.

What hardware and memory size are you running Windows 10 on?

0 Kudos