Menu
richpel52
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

email lock out

Yesterday (Friday 10th Nov) a gentleman on the 150 helpline informed us that all email addresses under the *@virgin.net had been wiped out and that recent emails were definitely not retrievable.  We were instructed to create a new email address under the *@virginmedia.com box.  He further added that as from June 2016 virgin media had been telling customers that the *@virgin.net email addresses were being phased out.  (Not that we had ever heard anything about it!).

This later turned out to be total BS and our recent emails were suddenly available on the VM website but remained unobtainable from our home.  Today, much to our and many others relief, the *@virgin.net email has returned to function as normal - and so have all the recent emails sent to us.  The crash of the VM email system has been handled extremely badly as far as we can see but

is there any truth in the phasing out of the *@virgin.net address?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: email lock out

Virgin.net email addresses linked to paid for VM broadband accounts are being maintained. Addresses not so linked are liable to closure at anytime.
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

richpel52 wrote:

Yesterday (Friday 10th Nov) a gentleman on the 150 helpline informed us that all email addresses under the *@virgin.net had been wiped out and that recent emails were definitely not retrievable.  We were instructed to create a new email address under the *@virginmedia.com box.  He further added that as from June 2016 virgin media had been telling customers that the *@virgin.net email addresses were being phased out.  (Not that we had ever heard anything about it!).

This later turned out to be total BS...

The dear, completely befuddled, and uninformed person on the 150 helpline was perhaps confused by the fact that some Virgin Media broadband customers were moved to TalkTalk some time ago and were said to be losing their virgin.net email addresses as a result.  Here is a January 2015 article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11377380/Virgin-broadband-custome...

What seems to have happened in the past few days is that Virgin Media lost control of their registration of the internet address "virgin.net" for a number of hours.  The email infrastructure was likely to be functioning just fine, but since a company in Florida owned the domain registration for "virgin.net" for a period of time instead of Virgin Media, your mail wasn't getting through.  Note that this sort of unusual and troubling problem isn't likely to happen at other email providers.  Consider moving your email operations to Gmail for a better experience and more informed customer service.

-Wrock.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Someone needs to have a word with your call centre staff.

@richpel52 - Based on my experiences with the staff I would say that they are not technically competent, and in some cases make up answers on the fly in order to "satisfy" the person on the other end of the phone.

Examples of conversations I've had in the past - not just related to email.

Me - "I've experiencing packet loss on my connection."
VM - "What's packet loss?"

Me - "When I try to send email using your servers from my mobile network, your server is sending an error code rejecting the connection."
VM - "Maybe the mobile network is congested."

So let me tell you what I know.

1. The virgin.net domain is not being dropped.
2. The issue was related to a problem with the domain registration.  It lapsed for a few hours.  The servers that VM customers use cached the lapse for far longer than they should have.  Based on the fact that mails started flowing back into at least one user's inbox by 22:00 on the 10th Nov means that for the most part the rest of the Web was updated much sooner.
3. The virgin.net  DNS appears to be back to normal.

Finally as Graham's explained you must have an active Broadband account with VM to use their email service, and the email address you use must be linked to that account.

VM do have Orphan accounts that remain in use when they shouldn't - however they do periodically purge these accounts.  So if you don't have Broadband with Virgin, it's time to think about finding a new e-mail provider ASAP.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi richpel52, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your emails. 

I can see Graham_A, Wrock and ravenstar68 have been helping you out Smiley Happy

Firstly we did have some trouble with the virgin.net email addresses around the time you posted which will be why you were having trouble. 

Secondly as long as you still have active Virgin services then the email address will stay active. 

Apologies for the confusion, ravenstar68 I will get that fed back it sounds like a training issue. 

If you are still having trouble let us know and we will take a further look into things for you here. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos