Menu
pmchugh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

email issues in LS17

Anyone else finding they cannot login to email in the LS17 postcode. I have lost email for five days now and cant access help as they need me to login to access.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: email issues in LS17

Thunderbird is a good bet. It now automatically configures VM addresses with the correct settings. Download only the latest version from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

This help page will get you started as well:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

If you are using win 10 it should be compatible.

But with win 10 you can also use the build in mail app and the manual settings from the help pages. Win 10 mail will try to do its own settings thing. You'll need to override.them. The app is basic but should help you through this sticky patch with web mail.

Of course - follow this advice at your own risk.

I do have one other bit of advice. Try a different web browser to see if it make a difference to web mail. I have both IE11 and Chrome on my PC. Chrome is my browser of choice but IE11 has got me out of trouble in the recent past.

Good luck - come back here if you have issues with any of this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Check Broadband service status by clicking on the link at the top right of Forum pages. Enter your post code. There is an on-going national fault with web mail.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
pmchugh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard, This is a real problem as five days without business connections is a trial. VM totally unhelpful. A lot of problems seem to have started after they migrated service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Which is why you should never use a residential account to rely on for business use. You don't have any come back or resilience if it goes wrong. If you do use this account exclusively for business use it is against VM's terms and conditions of service.

Why don't you set up an e-mail client to view your e-mail? That is at least a means of getting access.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
pmchugh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard,

It is  a mainly residential personal mixed account so ok with Ts and Cs for VM but use fro some business emails as well. I am not sure how to set up a client using my VM details. Can you advise or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Pat

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thunderbird is a good bet. It now automatically configures VM addresses with the correct settings. Download only the latest version from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

This help page will get you started as well:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

If you are using win 10 it should be compatible.

But with win 10 you can also use the build in mail app and the manual settings from the help pages. Win 10 mail will try to do its own settings thing. You'll need to override.them. The app is basic but should help you through this sticky patch with web mail.

Of course - follow this advice at your own risk.

I do have one other bit of advice. Try a different web browser to see if it make a difference to web mail. I have both IE11 and Chrome on my PC. Chrome is my browser of choice but IE11 has got me out of trouble in the recent past.

Good luck - come back here if you have issues with any of this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
pmchugh
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorted thanks very much Howard.

Pat

0 Kudos