Menu
Strontium
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

email inbox prob

Hi,  After a week of on/off email access I now find the contents of my inbox have disappeared except for emails arriving yesterday and today.  How do I get the missing emails - like the one to for my insurance details with the renewal link before it expires on Monday?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: email inbox prob

This is going to be a hard lesson for you (probably not your fault) but I hope you understand that posting on a Friday means that there is no one from VM on this Forum able to look at your post until Monday at the earliest. It is  taking up to a week for the Forum Team to get round to reading and responding to posts. That is the nature of of this kind of community forum. If you need urgent help then you'll have to phone this in - 150/0345 454 1111 - Broadband faults (deals with e-mail).

Now lets have a look at this issue. there have been absolutely no reports of anything similar happening to other people which I would have expected if it was an e-mail fault causing the loss of mail. But in fact the e-mail system has continued to work and be accessible using an e-mail client, during the disruption to web mail which was caused by a different and non-email related issue.

Something else must have caused the deletion. The obvious culprit we always look at is the use of Apple devices to read VM web mail. There are many accounts on the Forum of this happening. As IOS is updated deletions occur to random folders - commonly though the in-box is involved.  Does this apply to you? With any luck you may find the missing mail in the web mail "trash" folder or in one of the other folders. There is no telling where it might be. Have you looked?  

That is probably the best we can do over the weekend.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Strontium
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have looked in the other folders as usually a delete from "Inbox" goes to "Trash" but they were not there.    My "Trash"  folder still contains things I have previously deleted but not the "Inbox" ones which have disappeared without being "deleted". 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but it is only part of the story. What about the point about what Apple devices do? Does that apply to you? But the long and short of it is, if they are not anywhere in your web mail folders they are probably gone.

Let's get the facts together before was VM to take a look.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Strontium
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

No Apple device.  In the last month I have used one work PC with Windows and one home laptop with Ubuntu, the same ones for the last 3 years.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I have been having a further think. Based on what I have seen on the Forum I'm going to ask one further question: is there anything in your mail set up that could have caused the deletion, for example settings in the mail client, or do you access e-mail via web mail only.

Something else. I'll ask the Forum Team to take a look at the relevant address. Is it the address you use for this Forum?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Strontium
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I only access via VM webpage - web mail and there have been no changes in any of the setup. The address is the one I use for this forum.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The Forum Team need to look at this for you. I have already asked them.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Strontium, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have some emails missing. 

HowardML is right I am going to ask some further questions, it is just so we can get a good idea of the time scale and see if there are any correlations:

• How many emails are missing?
  • What folder/folders should the emails be in?
  • When did you last see the emails, for example, do you access your email daily had you seen the emails previously?
  • How do you access your mailbox, webmail, POP, IMAP or combination (if so, what)?
  • Are there any sub-folders which haven’t been expanded which could have the missing emails in them?
  • Are the emails in another folder if expecting them to be in All Mail? 
  • Have they ever been in the Bin folder?
  • Pop the details of the email address over to me via PM (purple envelope top right hand corner) and I will check over it here to make sure there is nothing a miss this side. 

Once we have these details we will be able to investigate further. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Strontium
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

1000+  emails missing

inbox

I usually look daily but there have been difficulties opening VM email over the past two weeks. I probably last saw them on 22/03/2017.

I go through VM website "email" tab

Not in sub folders.

I've looked in all folders and they are not there.

The emails have previously only been in "inbox" not in "Bin"

0 Kudos