Menu
HelplessHopeful
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

email failure on iphone

I know this has come up before but I'm still stuck.

After Virgin asked me to change my Ntlworld password, I can not longer get emails on my iphone. On my ipad I can receive but not send. The message I get is 'your id or password is incorrect'. It isn't. I've changed it on the main account pages, the incoming and outgoing pages and on Virgin's website. I've also deleted the accounts and re-entered them. Also re-booted the phone.

Virgin webchat is always busy so I haven't been able to ask anyone there.

Help please!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: email failure on iphone

Lots of advice on this here along with screen shots of what you need to enter and where: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

HelplessHopeful
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham A. I have seen this link before and I have done all that it instructs without any change to my problem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HelplessHopeful wrote:

Thank you Graham A. I have seen this link before and I have done all that it instructs without any change to my problem.

If you have followed all that step by step and are sure the entries are correct then it may be that the new password is not synced properly across all the VM servers.  You can force them to re-sync by going through the password reset process again in My Virgin Media but just enter the same password again.

HelplessHopeful
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, I have done that already and will probably try it again. Ever hopeful!

I appreciate your interest and help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HelplessHopeful wrote:

Thanks Graham, I have done that already and will probably try it again. Ever hopeful!

I appreciate your interest and help.

If it still doesn't work there may be another back end issue which might need staff assistance. The apple error codes are not always helpful enough in these cases.  There is another Superuser @ravenstar68 who may be able to help.

HelplessHopeful
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Graham.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When you try entering the new password on the SMTP screen do you see an error message like this?

wrongattempt.JPG

Note that although it says the server timed out, the iPad actually gives this error if the SMTP password verification fails after changing the password.  Note it can happen if there is a certain type of error on Virgin's Back end servers even if you are entering the right password, the server might still reject it.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

HelplessHopeful
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. This did occur when I experimented with changing the port. It disappeared when I changed it back. I'll persevere with the ever busy  Virgin web chat.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't bother with web chat for this issue. The port does need to be 465 with SSL and authentication. If you are getting the error message that Ravenstar68 refered to with those settings we can get the fault escalated from here.