Menu
ianrbruce
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

email and account repeatedly locked

Hi,

My email and accounts have been repeatedly locked over the last month or so. This has resulted in many hours trying to find a solution as well as resetting passwords and email clients.

The pattern is always the same. Account locked. Text from VM saying account is locked. Account passwords reset. Letter received several days later saying that spam is being sent from my son's email address. My son's account was closed down about a year ago and is not accessible or by us or him. Why does that result in my account being repeatedly locked.

Calls to the Indian help centre were no help at all. Incompetent or perhaps just not trained sufficiently to carry out the task. Promised return calls from supervisor were not made. When I did eventually get through to a supervisor he didn't have a clue and I was cut off after 20minutes on hold. The supervisor knew my contact details but did not try to get back to me. Customer service? - I don't think the description is at all accurate.

Virgin seem determined to land the blame for this issue with the customer rather than sort the problem out properly at their end.

I shouldn't be surprised though, it took at least 6 engineer visits and repeated calls to India to sort out a simple signal strength issue recently.

I have now got through to someone who seems competent who assures me that he will resolve the problem.

I hope so. If not I will leave and take up a cheaper option from another company. The only reason that I have stayed with VM so far is the fast internet speeds. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that time saved by the fast internet connection is not worth the time wasted trying to deal with a company with such appalling customer service,

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: email and account repeatedly locked

Hello ianrbruce

Thank you for your PM, I have replied to it and hopefully the matter is now resolved. I have to be cautious of posting sensitive information in public however I like to keep the thread updated. This was a problem caused by us and not dealt with in the best of ways when you called in. All of this has been fed back to the appropriate departments, Please accept our sincere apologies and do not hesitate to let us know if you have any more issues with it.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is clearly one that the Forum Team will have to look at because the spam appears to be coming from a closed address. I presume (and tell me if I am wrong) that it was an address on your account. I suspect the address hasn't been properly closed by VM and, as you say, this needs sorting.

I'll flag it for you.

But there is cautionary tale here. You keep changing the password and the account keeps getting locked. Whatever the rights and wrongs of VM's actions you should be clear that this may be a symptom of malware on your computer and other devices disclosing your passwords to the spammers - a key logger or similar. You should scan with the anti-malware part of your AV or use the free trial version of malwarebytes (download ONLY from the malwarebytes site) and see what comes up.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
ianrbruce
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I am new to the forum but not to computing. I have 4 computers - all have been checked for malware and key loggers. I have not had problems with passwords on any other site. My son's account that is causing mine to be locked was associated with this account but has not been used for many years and was closed down so that we could not see it about a year ago.

I suspect that it has not been totally disconnected at the Virgin Media side but they are the only people in a position to fix this.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough. What concerns me is that VM IT Security can see that your son's address is being used to send mail but not from your account. But what is worse they can see the sessions are being authenticated using a valid password. They can't see the password. Make of that what you will. Wait here for the Forum Team to pick this thread and investigate further with you. You've done all you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
Fair enough. What concerns me is that VM IT Security can see that your son's address is being used to send mail but not from your account. But what is worse they can see the sessions are being authenticated using a valid password. They can't see the password. Make of that what you will. Wait here for the Forum Team to pick this thread and investigate further with you. You've done all you.

Just curious; how can a closed (and inaccessible to the user) email account be validated by password? How can a valid password even be set by the user on such a closed email account?

Why should a different account, albeit linked to the one supposedly sending spam, be locked out? Are these addresses not treated as standalone and independent of each other?

Further reason to use an ISP independent email service, as if one was needed.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The answer is easy. The account at VM's end has not been properly closed on one , at least, of the relevant servers and so can get hijacked. It looks closed however in My VM. That is why this is a job for the backroom boys or VM IT as we know it!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Howard, that answers my first point.

It doesn't explain/answer my second point, why the OP's account is locked out when spam is apparently being sent from a different email address, albeit one which has (possibly) an association. 

Are different email addresses not treated independently?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can't have everything in life. Expect that VM will not answer this question. Its related to security of the system which no ISP will ever discuss in public. We have seen reports on the Forum of exactly this situation.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Howard for the reply.

I realise that you can't have everything in life,  but a properly working email service from your ISP would at least be somethingSmiley Very Happy

Or at least a service which does not lock out an email address when a totally different account, which is not under your control, may have been compromised.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it was a different account. I think it was an address on his father's account. Very common, of course.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos