Menu
28blue
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

email accounts from closed VM account

I've had my current Virgin Media account for about two years. Prior to that, I was away for about five months, and before that had a previous VM account for about seven years.

The @ntlworld email accounts I previously had were working until a couple of days ago, when I received a suspicious SMS message from 'VirginMedia' saying my account may have been used for spam and has been locked.... Since then, the password has been changed (not by me), and I can't receive mail. This is now the case for all my @ntlworld accounts.

I spoke to VM Customer Service, and asked if these addresses could be associated with my new VM account. They said these email accounts don't exist any more, as they would've been deleted after 90 days. I did explain they have been working for over two years since closing my previous VM account, but they said there is nothing they can do.

I am worried that someone has access to thousands of my emails from 2007 to two days ago, and there is nothing I can do to stop it, as I can't access the settings.

Clearly, these accounts are still live, as I can still send emails from them, as I have verified tonight. Should VM be doing more to help, as I imagine this is a data protection issue.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: email accounts from closed VM account

Hello 28blue

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with your mailboxes, it must be quite disconcerting not knowing exactly what is happening. We are limited at times on the forum with data protection constraints and it may well be we end up telling you to call in again however we will take a look and do our best. I will send you a forum private message to gather some more information, please reply when you have a moment.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello 28blue

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with your mailboxes, it must be quite disconcerting not knowing exactly what is happening. We are limited at times on the forum with data protection constraints and it may well be we end up telling you to call in again however we will take a look and do our best. I will send you a forum private message to gather some more information, please reply when you have a moment.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
28blue
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You are a star, Nicola. Thanks for your help. :-)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us about this 28blue,

I'll be sure to pass this feedback on to Nicola. Smiley Happy

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
s_h
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i also keep having similar problem,spam sent from a email address that i deleted 5 months ago.

however it is still live somewhere in the multiple layers of virgin/ntlworld system infrastructure

our genuine ntlworld maill boxes keep getting locked by virgin internet security because of spam sent from an old deleted mailbox.

i know this-- the outgoing ntlworld smtp server is not checking user name and password it allows users connected via virgin/or maybe an old ntl server infrastructure to send outgoing emails without the sever verifying user id and password,hence mr spammer is connected to server and sends out loads of spam without any user id and password checks,then i get letter from virgin and my genuine mailboxes are locked 

why is the outgoing smtp server not verifying user id and password

0 Kudos