Settling in
GrahamP

e mails on ipad

I have an Apple Mac and ipad and up until recently I had no problem in receiving ntlworldcom e mails on both. Recently however I have had to change from a PIN to a Password on my Virgin Media Account and this has in turn changed my Password on the ntlworld.com e mails. I have overcome the initial problem on my lap top but still cannot get mail on the ipad although I have reset the Password, all I get is The user name or password for 'recent:*********@ntlworld.com' is incorrect. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Pro I
slated

Re: e mails on ipad

[ Edited ]

you could try changing the settings to use the virginmedia mail servers.

Also check that your new password complies with the VM password rules, and (sorrry if this is too obvious...) be sure that you updated the iPad email client to use the same password (it can happen when you have several clients/devices on the go)

PS

since smtp.virginmedia.com works with authentication (unlike smtp.ntlworld.com), that would also enable you to send email when away from your home network. :smileywink:

Settling in
GrahamP

Thanks, but not sure about that as it would mean changing my e mail address from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com

Please use plain text.
Just joined
CamberKen

Graham,

the pop3.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com servers don't require you to change your email address.

You have to make sure the ports are correctly set up too

so it's:

hostname: pop3.virginmedia.com

username: fred.bloggs@ntlworld.co.uk (or whatever your address is:

password: your password

Hit the advanced option at the bottom: ensure that you have Use SSL turned on and the server port set to 995

for smtp, its;

smtp.virginmedia.com

username: fred.bloggs@ntlworld.co.uk

password: your password

use SSL: on

server port: 465

the only other thing you need to be aware of is if you are retrieving mail on more than one device on the POP3 settings you should have recent: in front of your user name.

You might run into the issue that I'm having, and have posted a request for help on.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Pro I
slated

It is like CabmerKen says, you can use the virginmedia servers with @ntlworld.com email addresses. I use them without problem without regard to which email addresses I am using, including @blueyonder.co.uk

Settling in
GrahamP

As you suggested I have changed the server preferences to virgin media but I still get on my ipad 'Cannot Get Mail' because the user name or password for 'recent:*********@ntlworld.com" is incorrect.

I have triple checked all settings and all are as required. What is strange is that I also have a mobile me account and have sent from my laptop an e mail to my ntlworld account which has been received by my laptop and also in the inbox of my ipad which I cannot open because of 'Cannot Get Mail'.

Please use plain text.
Pro I
slated

[ Edited ]

are you able to send email from the ipad on the affected email account?

as to receiving, reading other iPad posts, the ones that work all seem to be using IMAP (or should that be iMAP :smileysurprised: ). Not sure if that is because there is an issue with POP/VM/iPad or just coincidence. However, the only help page on the issue just ignores POP altogether and goes straight for IMAP. Maybe give that a go?

Settling in
GrahamP

Thanks for your help but I think the problem my be with the ipad. I have deleted the ntl account from the ipad yet I still get 'the ntl username/password is incorrect'. This is so infuriating as it stops me accessing my 'mobile me' messages on the ipad.

Please use plain text.
Pro I
slated

GrahamP wrote:

Thanks for your help but I think the problem my be with the ipad. I have deleted the ntl account from the ipad yet I still get 'the ntl username/password is incorrect'. This is so infuriating as it stops me accessing my 'mobile me' messages on the ipad.

eh? If there is no ntl world account any longer on the iPad, what is the error message referring to?

Are you sure there isn't a duplicate account set up?

Or did I misunderstand?

Settling in
GrahamP

The only account I have on the ipad now is 'mobile me' but when I open 'mail' the inbox for mobile me comes up but also CANNOT GET MAIL 'The username or password for recent:*********@ntlworld.com is incorrect. This locks up my access to the mobile me inbox. Looks like one for Apple!

Mobile me mail is coming in but I cannot get access. Mobile me is clearly identified as the default account because there is no other accounts.

Please use plain text.