Menu
alaning
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

delayed delivery an lost email

I have just seen 2 previous post relating to the subject of delayed email

15-06-2016 11:31 by sneazy24  and  27-06-2016 17:29 by Ulthima

I too am having similar problems and have been for several weeks now.

I noticed that Emma_K from the forum team had been investigating but there is not update to  say whether the issues have been resolved or are still outstanding. I raised a fault ticket but they didnt take the issue seriously and blamed my  domain provider.

The frustrating problem is the lack of consistancy, sometimes there is little or no delay, then is could be 3 to 4 hours or like this morning it is nearly 12 hours anybody else still having problems?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: delayed delivery an lost email

Hi alaning, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails being delayed. Apologies also for not getting back to you sooner. 

Please pop across some of the headers from the delayed emails via PM and I will be able to take a further look into this for you. 

The current information we have had from the postmaster is that if the IP the email has come from is black listed then it will kick in the rate limiting and delay the speed of the emails arrival. If this turns out to be the reason for the delay the postmaster has advised that the company sending the email would have to deal with the issue they have with their sending IP being on a blacklist. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bobbles69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I too am having a similar problem with Blueyonder mail. This has only happened recently and generally happens more during the day and then they all appear at night or the early hours of the morning. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Bob
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi bobbles69, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have been having similar issues. 

If at all possible see if you can get a header from one of the delayed emails. If unsure how to do this try this for client mail or this for webmail. Once you have the header pop it into https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx and it will show you if the IP that the email has come from is blacklisted. If it is blacklisted there will be a little red cross in a circle on the right hand side of the screen, click on it for more information. If the IP is black listed then the emails will be being subjected to Rate Limiting. 

Rate Limiting is something we use as a security measure to deter spammers. If you check the header and the IP is not black listed let me know and I will take another look and if necessary raise it to the Post Master to investigate it further. 

If you are unsure if you have found the correct details pop what you have found across to me via PM (Purple Envelope, top right hand corner) and I will take a look for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Emma_E

This reasoning does not sit well with me.

Rate limiting only really works well against fire and forget spam.  So if you are rate limiting a legitimate mail server, it's going to try delivering the mail again, and again, and again - until one of two things happens.  The mail gets delivered, or the mail server queue expires.

In the case of Amazon, we've seen that they only have a 14 hour queue, so after 14 hours the mail server bounces the mail, meaning that YOUR CUSTOMERS don't get a legitimate email.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar68, 

Thanks for getting back to me again, I do understand the concerns raised and I have forwarded the issue further up the chain. 

Hopefully I will have more to advise on this at a later date. I will let you know as soon as I know more. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Emma_E

Relay this up the chain as well.

When BT changed their email system a few years back, to include rate limiting, and Virgin users were moaning at Virgin.  I put the blame where it belonged at the time.  at BT's door.

BT fixed the issue in a matter of DAYS.

This time the blame lies at Virgin's door but the rate limiting saga has been going on for over a MONTH

STOP PASSING THE BUCK AND FIX YOUR SERVERS

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well said Ravenstar!!

I would really like to think that the clowns at Virgin who are responsible for running this shambles, would take a bit more notice of somebody like yourself than of just the odd customer (although, when the number of customers is as high as it is .......) but lets wait and see.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar68, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I understand how frustrating this issue is but I can only work with the information that has been given to me. I have passed your further comments on. 

If you have any more information that you feel may benefit do let me know and I will always be happy to pass it along. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos
barneygumble
Tuning in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am also having this problem with email not being received or badly delayed. I first noticed it with Amazon and now others. It used to be fine and clearly Virgin Media have done something that has caused these problems.

Customer Services are useless.

I have read plenty of comments on this forum with other users having the same problem and Virgin Media doing nothing about it. This is disgraceful behavior.