change e-mail address

Hi

How do i change my e-mail address

Ta

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: change e-mail address

You can not actually "change" an existing email address. You can create a new one, and delete the old one (except the main account holder address which has to remain).

Do not be tempted to think that changing a username of an email address is a way to change the email address itself, it isn't.

log into My Virgin Media (link at top of this page) using your main account holder email address. Then go to My Profile/Manage Accounts and create a new account

AV
Crafty
AV

So what is being changed?

I have been chasing this around. I change the username of an existing email address in Manage Accounts, it says it has made the change and sent a verification email to new_username@virginmedia.com

However I cannot get my email client to log onto the incoming or outgoing servers for the new account.

So, why is it saying it has made a change if it has not, and just who is it sending the emails to?

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

what is being changed is exactly what is says - the username. This is the 'handle' or 'nickname' (VM call it a username) by which you log into the the email account in webmail.

Usually the email address itself is the username for that account, so the two can seem to be one and the same thing since they both share the same appelation. But they are in fact two different things, one is an email address, the other is a username for logging into the email account.

Maybe think of your bank account, the bank account has a username for logging into it, that username might be the account number itself, or it might be an email address of your choosing. But changing this username does not change your bank account number.

Just as with changing the username on your bank account (or most other online accounts), a confirmation is sent to your chosen email address for you to confirm that you own the email address. The email address you choose must already exist, it is not created by the fact that you choose it as a username. So quite what happens if you mistakenly choose an email addresss which does not exist in the belief that you were creating a new email address I do not know. But I guess that the lack of any activation back from your fictitious address will mean that the status quo prevails.

AV
Crafty
AV

Ahhh..well I have never used webmail so no idea what that does. I think I am with you now though.

Still confused over who it was sending the emails to - but I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Please use plain text.