Menu
emmelle
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

cannot access webmail

I normally access all my ntlworld email accounts through windows live mail with no problems but when I try to use webmail through my account even though I am signed in and click the email link I get "sorry we have a problem" and error 404. I am just trying to get to my spam folder to check on some missing messages.

This has been happening for a few weeks now and I still can't access it. Can anyone help?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: cannot access webmail

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have seen a report on this forum that Firefox is problematic with VM mail at the moment. Maybe it was an update to FF that broke it? Who knows and only some people are affected. Other browsers work fine so best to lay off FF and see if the issue clears next time it is updated.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Rather than use the email link from my.virginmedia.com try using mail.virginmedia.com to go directly to your mail.  Does that work?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

emmelle
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to you both. Clearing the cache worked and I can again access my email from the web

0 Kudos
emmelle
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to have to come back. Just to check everything was still working I closed the firefox browser and tried to get back in but I got the same messages. I went back and cleared history etc. and it still didn't work.  I then tried the Edge browser and had to sign in and prove I wasn't a robot but that worked. I then tried Chrome and that worked but when I went back to Firefox  i got the 404 message again despite clearing history etc. Does any one else have the same problem?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Do you get the 404 error status when following advice of going to mail.virginmedia.com?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have seen a report on this forum that Firefox is problematic with VM mail at the moment. Maybe it was an update to FF that broke it? Who knows and only some people are affected. Other browsers work fine so best to lay off FF and see if the issue clears next time it is updated.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
emmelle
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi again. I did try that but as soon as I clicked on it the address changed to mail2.virginmedia.com and I had to sign in again and go through not being a robot but I still got the same messages about sorry we have a problem and error 404.

Perhaps it is a firefox problem as Howard says

0 Kudos
cbeaney
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm not convinced that this is just a firefox issue, but do agree that it does point to a browser problem.  Have been using Edge and this has no problems at all, where as Chrome always fails even after clearing out the cache.

JohnH154
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

For the last 6 months, I have had serious problems logging in to webmail (takes at least two login attempts etc.) whether using Firefox or IE. Even when I do login, the panels don't synchronise, a mail form does not show when requested etc.

All in all, it is an absolutely, absolutely dreadful webmail system. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely dreadful.