Menu
Highlighted
richp1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

can't access ntlworld email

Hi

I can't access my ntlworld email - this is my main email account and is linked to my virginmedia broadband. I've used it for many years and suddenly it just stopped...

I can't access it through my virgin media either.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: can't access ntlworld email

There is an email issue currently listed on the Service status page. Seems to be intermittent for me.

All Replies
SDC
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We need more to go on than what you've told us.

For starters, is there an error message?

Learning one day at a time how it works, breaks, and gets fixed.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation,
send Guinness to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... I work for peanuts.
0 Kudos
richp1
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly.

There is an error message: Error: There was an issue while authenticating. This may be due to a recent password change. To continue please log out and log back in with your most current password.

I hadn't changed my password. I then changed my password, but this made no difference, the same error message came up.

Thanks

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is an email issue currently listed on the Service status page. Seems to be intermittent for me.

skiking
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had an issue at 10:30 this morning as I was getting an authentication error. Tried using Check Service Status and when I tried to login I was getting an authentication error again. I reset my password and fortunately the email notification goes to my works address. I reset my password back to the ORIGINAL password and it accepted it which is a worry as most online security prohibit reusing the last password. Anyway, password reset and my email app sprang back to life and I could log in to My Virgin Media. This was all done by 11am. At 1pm I received a text from Virgin Media saying my mail account has been used to send spam. You account has been locked.

I can't see anything on the service status but there is something dodgy going on that I'd like an explanation to. I still can't get to speak to a human. CS is pretty poor

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have received the spam warning message from Virginmedia then you need to take immediate steps to change your password to a completely new one and change your security answers. Also check all your devices for key logging malware.

Your issue is not caused by the earlier intermittent fault that this thread is concerned with.
skiking
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I changed my password straight away albeit to the original one. VirginMedia security profile shouldn't allow my password to be changed back to the original one. Also, the spam issue, I need an understanding of what that means. My password for VM is unique i.e is only used for VM and is very random in characters. No one has access to my account or emails.

This is the reason I want to talk to someone to someone to understand what the threat is and where from. Has VM security been compromised? Have they been hacked? How can someone, allegedly, send spam from my account without it showing up in my sent list? These are the questions I require answers to.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If someone had managed to obtain you email address and password combination then it is very easy for them to send emails via your authentication credentials without them showing in your sent emails folder.

The message from VM should identify whether this is off net or on net. There is a distinct difference. @ModTeam can you ask the email team to check this, please.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham

Morning skiking

We do genuinely have your interests at heart as well as our own. The mailbox mentioned in the letter we have sent you was accessed via SMTP after an authenticated login and used to repeatedly send Spam. It looks like this originated from off our network. We do not know how your password was known, it may be best to check for malware on all your devices etc and please follow all the advice in the letter.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos