Menu
jimbrad
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

bounce back

one of my friends keeps getting a bounce back message even though I receive the message sample below

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@smtpq4.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net>
Date: 28 March 2017 at 11:52
Subject: Mail delivery failed : returned to sender
To: @gmail.com

retry timeout exceeded

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: *******;@ntlwrld.com

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: bounce back

Nice one to ask for advice on! Just to clarify. Your friend (person A) is sending to you, (person B) and person A is getting this message although you get the actual message. Clarity is important here. I think I can tell what is happening but I need to be sure of the exact circumstances.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
jimbrad
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

hi

sorry for the delay in responding , im at work

yes my friend sends the e mail  then he sends another asking if I received it as it bounced back

regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've been thinking about this issue ever since I wrote my post in this thread.

I'm not sure that this is a VM issue at all given what you have told me. I think this is a glitch in the GMail servers not accepting mail from VM quickly enough (look at the words of the bounce back message).

Eventually they do and the mail gets through and you get it.

The error message is not saying that the failure is permanent only that "retry timeout exceeded". The VM SMTP servers have note the difficulty and eventually generate the error message.

Can your friend see a 421 error code or does he see a 500 series code (ignore the 5.0.0 code)? in the bounce back message?

To be sure we'd have to see the full header of a bounced back message. Only your friend can provide it. But not yet please. Others who know about this issue will be along to help and we can take it further forward then.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There may be a simpler explanation. I think your friend has a type on your e-mail address - domain name "ntlwrld" is missing an "o" - ntlworld.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
jimbrad
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's what we thought at first but my friend didn't,t omit the o and at times just replyed to a message that I had sent

regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back on this. Any chance of answers to the other questions about the error message. I don't think we have the full error message - that number code 421 or 500 etc would be very useful.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Another thing to check is do you have any email forwarding rules set. If so and the target address isn't working that can cause bounce messages.
jimbrad
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I will e mail him but it will properly be tomorrow before he replys if that's ok with you, he lives in Vigo north western Spain, would that have any bearing on the problem

regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Of course it is OK. We are all volunteers here. We don't work for VM.

Geo location shouldn't affect.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos