Menu
mavharv
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

appalling email

Since the change in email format I find the system unstable, unreliable, problems with finding old email---the list given is in no date order whatsoever, problems printing , could go on and on. It is about as  user-unfriendly as possible as possible-a disgrace!!

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: appalling email

Hello jiggy

mmm I'm not sure but I just wonder if there is a bit of a knowledge gap here, I do appreciate these things can be quite confusing. An email client such as I recommended is not another email provider it is a program one puts on their device such as a computer or tablet. Once set up it communicates with our mail servers using the protocols POP3, IMAP or SMTP. Clients have always tended to provide more functionality than webmail and we have recommended their use long before the mail migration.

I do hope that helps

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello mavharv

Welcome to our forum, I'm sorry you are having problems with the new webmail, it is a bit more basic than the previous Gmail.

Have you considered setting up an email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail as this will give you a higher level of control. If you do the settings may be found here.

Hope that helps

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
jiggy
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SERIOUSLY!!! That's your response? The helpful answer about virgin email is to use someone else, well that just about says it all

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello jiggy

mmm I'm not sure but I just wonder if there is a bit of a knowledge gap here, I do appreciate these things can be quite confusing. An email client such as I recommended is not another email provider it is a program one puts on their device such as a computer or tablet. Once set up it communicates with our mail servers using the protocols POP3, IMAP or SMTP. Clients have always tended to provide more functionality than webmail and we have recommended their use long before the mail migration.

I do hope that helps

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
GreyHeron
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate that the Forum Team and the SuperUsers are trying to be helpful but ...

I've just followed through the links given to set up a new 'email client'.

What a palaver!

I read through the instructions as carefully and calmly as I could - but I felt dizzy at the end.

Maybe it looks simple to the more 'techy' members of this forum, but I am not at all sure that my limited skills are up to the job, certainly my confidence isn't.

As I and other people have said before, it is infuriating to be told that the answer to the weaknesses of the new VM system is that we, the customers, should spend our time, effort and sanity mastering a procedure that we don't want in the first place.  I just want to be able to access and use my email system in the straightforward way I used do under the old system.

(And yes, I do understand that VM were left with no choice but to change the system due to Google's decision-making.  My argument is with the flaws in the new system and the offloading of responsibility for fixing it onto the customer.)

Rant over (for now!)

GH

murof
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello jiggy

I do hope that helps

Many thanks

Its a shame that since the move to Open Exchange from Gmail the webmail service has been incredibly flaky.  Not a lot you can do about your email client in this instance.

I was wondering if the email system is so unreliable now because you have to use your own IT guys to manage the system rather than relying on Google's IT guys when it was still part of Gmail?

ianbar
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello jiggy

I do hope that helps

Many thanks

Nicola,

That is an interesting response.  When, exactly, did you start recommending the use of an email client in preference to webmail?  I ask because I switched to using webmail (admittedly a few years ago now) on the basis of a VM recommendation to do so.

Regards

ianbar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nicola,

Just to add to my previous post, I checked the link you gave to the advice on how to set up an email client (Thunderbird in this case).  The preamble reads:

"Access your e-mail through a Web browser

Before you read on, did you know that you can access your Virgin Media Mail through a Web browser? This means you can send and receive messages through just about any computer with a connection to the Internet and also access other great features that are not available to users of e-mail software.

Try it now: go to your Virgin Media Mail online by clicking the Email link in the top-right of virginmedia.com."

This hardly seems consistent with your post.  But it would be interesting to know what the "other great features" are.

Regards

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello ianbar

Thanks for getting back, interesting. I think whether to use an email client or not is dependant upon personal usage circumstances. If for example one wishes to use some features that are available in a client that webmail does not provide it makes sense to use a client. The OP mentioned he would like functions that most clients would easily provide so it seemed fitting to ask if he had considered using one. 

As for our policy on recommending using a client, I go back a long way and it was definitely something we recommended pre Virgin media and then I believe you have a point the emphasis moved toward using webmail. However in the interests of wanting to provide bespoke help to people with their email needs I personally will recommend what seems to suit them best here and now.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
jiggy
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Starting to feel like an episode of monty Python now, spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam, shut up!!!! Bloody Vikings
0 Kudos