Menu
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Will Virgin emulate EE and close our Blueyonder and NTL email accounts?

Probably a bad idea raising this, as it is never a good to give people ideas

Background, EE are closing all the old Freeserve and Orange email addresses whether we are using them or not. They will be gone on 31 May 2017

This is EE's statement

I have started to transfer a lot of my email subscriptions to my old Blueyonder email address. I have even got new address cards with my Blueyonder email address.

Then a thought struck me, would Virgin follow EE's lead Smiley Surprised

I have asked this on Twitter and they said I am safe, but I just wanted to double check on the forum here, and ask if Virgin has any plans to close down our email addresses, like EE is doing, especially the Blueyonder ones. (Or the NTL ones that others may have?)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will Virgin emulate EE and close our Blueyonder and NTL email accounts?

One can never say never, however, as things stand there has been no indication from VM of any plans to close active email accounts that are correctly linked to an active broadband account.

The accounts do need to be accessed at once every 90 days to remain active.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Sticks

Thank you for this. We hadn't noticed the closure. My wife will be concerned. Time to take some action. Very grateful. Kudos to you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Sticks - At the moment there's no sign of Virgin Media wanting to close the old domains.  There are no guarantees that they won't look to do this in the future, so it's always a good idea to hedge your bets and consider moving your main contact address now.  In fact, it's considered a good idea not to rely on an ISP provided mail anyway.  Should you ever leave Virgin, your email address will close.  Considering the current quality of Virgin's email offering, You might find you are better served by using Gmail or one of the other many free providers out there anyway.

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
frankblack98
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would probably have no reason to continue with virgin if they did that.

Notifying all the places I have my email address registered with over the past 12 years would be a massive inconvenience.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you're only sticking with Virgin because of the email address then you should really consider cutting loose and moving addresses anyway.

Done correctly, it doesn't have to be as massive an inconvenience as you think.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are using an email client and POP you will have all your messages on your own machine and not kept in the VM email system. It's then very easy to move to another provider or two. I actually now use 3 different email providers. Once you have a new provider you can just get all your email redirected by VM to this provider and then eventually when everyone is using your new provider just shutdown the VM email. I keep my VM email open by running a CRON job on one of my raspberry Pi's once a month to send /receive an email to keep the system active and stop the 90 day auto shutdown. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

If you're only sticking with Virgin because of the email address then you should really consider cutting loose and moving addresses anyway.

Done correctly, it doesn't have to be as massive an inconvenience as you think.

Ravenstar68

Actually am sticking with Virgin, because many years ago my family wanted me on the telephone system. I was tasked with getting the quotes to put a line in to a flat that had never had a phone line before

BT were charging £116, some local cable company called Telewest were charging only £30

As someone else was paying the bill, I ended up with Telewest, who became Cableinet who became Blueyonder who were acquired by Virgin Media.

As the line to my flat was not a BT line I was never able to go with any of the others like Talk-Talk or Sky, as the small print always said, must have a BT line

So I am tied to Virgin, and have thus been a loyal customer since before they were Virgin

Incidentally I also have a Gmail address and others, it was just that my Blueyonder was my secondary email address, and now it is getting a promotion to primary, while Gmail becomes my secondary.

I would hate to see it go, because another ISP, (EE), gave some exec ideas on how to penny pinch.

0 Kudos