Menu
viridian
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Who is creating these email addresses?

In the last 24 hours I've had three e-mails telling me I've created a new email address:

- ########@VirginMedia.com

- ##########@VirginMedia.com

- ###########@VirginMedia.com

I've not created these e-mail addresses! I've gone into account management and deleted them. I have a suspicion my website account is FUBARed and has somehow been combined with someone else's. It's not like anyone is charging premium movies to my account so it doesn't feel intentional or malicious!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I could contact to get this investigated?

[MOD EDIT: Email addresses removed - staff will still be able to view these addresses but they are no longer public]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Who is creating these email addresses?

Change your Email account password. NOW.

Then go to

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

And report it as suspected email account hijacking.

@ModTeam can someone check this account?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

More likely a spammer has guessed or hacked your main account password.

I'd tackle this in stages.

1. Change the password, also consider changing your security question and answer.
2. File a report at netreport.virginmedia.com using the section email account hijacking.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
viridian
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, I've changed my email password and logged it as e-mail hijacking - thanks for the advice. The curious thing is that there was one other e-mail address on my account which I had seen before. When I moved house previously, I was unable to log in to my account because the system believed this other e-mail address was my primary e-mail address. I had to have someone at VM reconfigure the account to allow me to log in. At the time, the person I spoke to on the phone didn't seem to think it was a hacking job. I changed my password at that time. As I said, it just feels like something is broken on my online account and somehow it's entangled with someone else's. Let's see what comes of this hacking report!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I look at it this way, if someone is adding email addresses to my account, only the main account holder can do this.  While it could be a technical glitch, I would rather assume the worst and secure my account.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You could use up the full allowance of , is it 9 , mailboxes yourself.i.e. make additional ones until no more are allowed. If new ones continue to appear after that, or if the system does not let you do that,, then its a glich.

R. Says secure the account, good advice but if you have changed the password already i am unsure if there are any other security steps that you can take ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello viridian

Welcome to our forum, I can see you have already been getting some good advice so I will just add on my little bit. It does look from here as though you have may have been hacked as the mailboxes you mentioned were actually created in the last couple of days they were not migrated from a previous existence. 

As mentioned above it is good advice to change to a strong password and also consider scanning your devices for malware just in case it leaked that way. What to do if you think your email account has been accessed by someone else

Good luck, thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team