Menu
angieandco
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Where are messages stored when sending via virgin server?

Have had a bit of a problem - background - Had an imap account on webmail which was redirected from Freeola to webmail and back to my apple mail account where I received all emails. (yes this may not have been the right way to do anything!) However on cutting out the webmail account ie setting apple mail up to receive the emails direct from Freeola I lost all the emails in my inbox and sent boxes.

On logging in to the webmail no sent emails where stored.

On exploring the problem I realised all sent mail had been sent thru the virgin mail server - there is nothing i can find on my mac but is there a chance it may be somewhere out there on the virgin server?

Any help is gratefully received!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where are messages stored when sending via virgin server?

If I read this right then you are almost certainly out of luck. Mail sent from your computer via an e-mail client like apple mail does go through VM's outgoing mail servers but is not saved to the web mail "sent" folder. That is normal behaviour for such systems.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Howard is spot on.

Most SMTP servers do not copy sent mail to the sent mail folder.  There are some exceptions to this, but it's not normal behaviour.

What happens is that when IMAP downloads mail, it also uploads mail in your sent mail folder to the IMAP server i.e. the freeola server.  So if they're not on your computer and they're not on the freeola server, then I'm afraid they are gone.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

angieandco
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks - if I had realised what would happen I would have copied all emails before redirecting! I should be ok as  a couple that i really needed are attached to the bottom of a reply. My OCD of keeping EVERYTHING has got to be overcome!!

0 Kudos