Same problem - same solution..

465/SSL would not work most of today

25/none works fine

Please use plain text.
Just joined
HenryL

Re: What has happened to SMTP?

Hi 

Could someone from Virgin please step in and clarify what is going on here and how things should be set up to work now and henceforth ?

PErhaps an email to us all - since incoming mail still seems to work - explaining the situation, would be helpful..!  (This would have been helpful to alert that something was going wrong rather than leaving us to wonder what happening and struggle on, losing time)

I too am on ntlworld and have had emails stuck in outbox all day and now by a monkeys at typewriters approach managed to get some of this morning's mails out just now by changing ports, disabling SSL and disabling password in the SMTP settings etc., thanks to finding the discussion on this forum.

I've lost at least a couple of hours solid work time that I needed to be spending on something else, and am unclear now actually how the setting should be, and whether there is a pre/post migration difference in how things should be set. 

First I spent time reading the info on the VM website about how to set up the new mail service, to ensure I had not got the settings wrong and been cutoff in the 'mail migration process' somehow, but on the pages about how to configure the mail clients, and in the ntlworld specific info, there was no mention about pre or post migration settings or anything like that.  I went through and set them as described and hey presto it still wan't working of course.  

Having found settings that seem to work somewhat - should these be changed back ?   When will the published settings be working ? etc.

Thanks/ Henry

Please use plain text.
Just joined
joolsonline

Another one with the same problem and same solution.

smtp on port 25 , plain text (or even with password encryption) = yes

port 465 SSL = no, no no

Tried smtp.virginmedia.com and smtp.virgin.net , no luck.

Made doubly annoying by the fact that I have been moving all my accounts from pop to imap access over the last few days since virgin bought into googlemail.

In other words , deleting 10 accounts on 4 machines making sure I archive anything off thats local only, then recreating them.

I discovered this thread only after an hour of head scratching and switched back to plain smtp as a last resort. So I have joined up to let off steam and have my say.

Come on Virgin , my service was offline at least 3 days running last week during the day.

I have been able to recieve email all day even if I can't reply to them!

Please use plain text.
Just joined
steveg42

I've been getting this error message from Thinderbird all day -

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Cannot connect to SMTP server 81.103.221.11 (81.103.221.11:465), connect error 10060.

I've used the same settings for year so what has gone wrong?

Steve

Please use plain text.
Just joined
tonythyer

Same problem, same error code, and I have changed nothing.

Before I found this thread, I found the advice "providers sometimes change settings without warning". 

It is not good enough, we rely on this service - so where is the news about this problem? or a response to it?

gmail is letting me send to my ntlworld address, but it (gmail) fails to send elsewhere: "The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 " could be a coincidence, or sod's law.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
cormorant

I've got the same message in Outlook Express.  Same again no change at my end...  I think their SMTP SSL service is broken.

I'll try again tomorrow and hope I don't have to go through the misery of reporting this.

Nick

Please use plain text.
Just joined
nekomatic

Thanks proton - changing it to port 25 and no encryption or authentication has got outgoing email working for me too. At least until the next time Virgin mess about with it!

Yet again the call centre staff were useless and talked my wife laboriously through the 'standard' settings, which aren't working, without mentioning that there was a known fault.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
cormorant

Tried no SSL and 25 - now OK.

What a time waster.  Virgin PLEASE test after a change and then have the courtesy put a service problem message up when things go wrong.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
steveg42

Outgoing mail does NOT work for me even with port 25, no encryption and no authentication.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
jayscml

same story, not able to send any email today, have just checked and its using 25 and no SSL, so what now?  I use vista and windows mail.  Can send through webmail, but what has happened to my settings? 

Please use plain text.