Menu
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 1 of 524
Flag for a moderator

Webspace Closure - Website closing down

I have spent years building a website about local history and it has helped many people. Hits have now reached over 165000 annually.

Now Virginmedia have said that's it, end of websites.

I am extremely annoyed with Virginmedia and as the website facility was what has kept me with them all these years we will now be changing to another provider.

The website was part of the package I signed up for and this must be illegal what they are doing.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 51 of 524
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Website closing down

Etherow wrote:

I'm surprised the other big ISPs have also withdrawn such a basic service. It doesn't really leave anywhere to go. My first internet provider, many years ago was Freeserve on dial up. They provided web space (and indeed my old website from those days is still there and working, as my sister now used the account, although not on dail up anymore). In those days, pretty much all the free providers did; it was expected. It seems strange that after all these years and technical advances, things have gone backwards, even from paid providers.

First off let's look at the so called FREE internet back from back in the old dial up days.

They weren't actually free, you paid for the phone call you're modem made and the ISP's actually obtained funding that way.  They were just clever about how they marketed the service. 

Now I'm pretty sure someone is going to point out that you actually paid BT for the phone calls.  But the fact is that BT paid a cut of the revenue generated from the calls to the ISP's.  Why else do you think that the old T&C's stipulated you had to use the service to keep it active.

BTW you do know freeserve actually went through rebrandings and actually ended up as EE Broadband?  Look on the EE Broadband sites and you see people talking about how to access their old freeserve site but nothing about up to date webspace.  That should tell people a lot.

In fact it looks like Virgin are among the last ISP's to remove webspace.  Even talktalk stopped offering it to new users.

As for being a basic service.  Web hosting stopped being basic a long time ago.  As I've already pointed out a quick search for Free web hosting will produce a number of hits.  All of which offer far more then ANY of the ISP's ever did.

And here's one last thing to consider - as has already been pointed out.  With so many non ISP offerings out there - do you really WANT or EVEN need to be using webspace that ties you to a particular ISP anyway.  The same is true for email.  Once you start using a non ISP email as your main mail then you liberate yourself from your ISP.  You can change ISP and your email access and Web hosting will remain unaffected.  

YOU END UP IN CONTROL.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 52 of 524
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To sum up here's my advice.

Take the Godaddy offer - Don't worry too much about the web builder in fact when the year is up remove it from the contract.

Use the free domain name they're giving you.  Yes you have yo pay a yearly fee to keep the domain active but for a .co.uk domain that's around £5 a year.

Sign up for a free hosting plan with Hostinger byethosting 000webhost or another free provider.  Point the nameservers for your domain at your new webhost and upload your files to them instead of GoDaddy.

Here's what you get.

Your own domain name - no more webspace.virginmedia.com visible to other users when they visit your site.

Free web hosting with the option of upgrading to a paid plan if appropriate.

The ability to set up an email service using your domain name, You don't have to use GoDaddy's.  Most are chargeable but Zoho still offers free email for ONE domain with up to 25 addresses (I used them myself before moving to Google Apps).  I can't say they'll always remain free but it's certainly an option to consider at present.

When the time comes to renew your domain you don't even need to stick with GoDaddy - you can transfer it to the registrar of your choice.

So yes it does seem like an imposition at first but this cloud definitely has a silver lining IMHO.

Ravenstar68

Edit - Changed sign up for a domain to sign up for a free hosting plan - My bad

All Replies
oldshipbuilder
Dialled in
Message 2 of 524
Flag for a moderator

Before Virginmedia reply about their free offer with GoDaddy I have checked it out and it offers 5 pages on the website. I have hundreds of pages to add. Absolute rubbish offer and they are trying to make it sound good.

fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 3 of 524
Flag for a moderator

It wont be illegal as it would be covered in their T&C.

Why not take a look at This company - they offer free hosting which (looking at the specs) is pretty good for free, and around a million percent better than Virgin used.

It would be easy to transfer the site there, then set up a forward .

Note - I've not used this company myself, but friends have, and they speak highly of it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 524
Flag for a moderator

Also take vm up on the offer of a godaddy account!
Free domain name for a year plus you can set the domain to point to a FREE hosting provider!

The artist formally known as Swt4ajp
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 5 of 524
Flag for a moderator

I like your thinking !
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 524
Flag for a moderator

oldshipbuilder wrote:

Before Virginmedia reply about their free offer with GoDaddy I have checked it out and it offers 5 pages on the website. I have hundreds of pages to add. Absolute rubbish offer and they are trying to make it sound good.

Where are you getting 5 pages from?  The package on the GoDaddy site which seems to match up with the VM offer is the Personal Website Builder package which lists "Unlimited pages": 
https://uk.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder 

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 524
Flag for a moderator

I did that for another site that offered a domain name and a year free hosting so when the year free hosting came up to renewal I took the domain name away and went somewhere that was cheap in my case it was godaddy and then started going around the free hosting until I settled for my own hosting in house

The artist formally known as Swt4ajp
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 524
Flag for a moderator

The link provided by @andyju is quite useful

Up to date PHP, MySQL.  It might not seem like it but VM may actually be doing users a favour.  After all Webspace doesn't support either of those.

If the sites been done right it's just a case of copying the files from VM to the PC via FTP and then reuploading them to the new site.  I'd then put a page on  the VM pages redirecting people to the new site.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 524
Flag for a moderator

oldshipbuilder wrote:

I thought I had replied on this thread but my post has gone AWOL Smiley Frustrated

Anyway, oldshipbuilder I'm curious to know where are you seeing a reference to only 5 pages?  The package that seems to mostly closely match the details of the VM offer on the GD site (Personal Website Builder) is showing me "Unlimited pages".

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 524
Flag for a moderator

andyju wrote:
Why not take a look at This company - they offer free hosting which (looking at the specs) is pretty good for free, and around a million percent better than Virgin used.

It would be easy to transfer the site there, then set up a forward .

Note - I've not used this company myself, but friends have, and they speak highly of it

It looks good and I'm not doubting your friends, but any idea how they can afford to give away hosting like that for free? There is usually a catch, like exit fees to move domains away or poor performance or limited features that pushes folks towards a paid plan.  It just seems a little too good to be free.

0 Kudos