Menu
KevMac1962
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Webmail compose and reply not working intermittently

I use Virgin webmail with Windows 7, Firefox & Chrome. I have an ntlworld email address.

I have an intermittent problem which makes webmail completely unusable. When I click 'compose' or 'reply', it sometimes just hangs and will not do anything else. I then have to close webmail, go back in and hope that it starts working again. I have tried cleaning cookies, running CCleaner and re-booting both the browser and the PC. This sometimes fixes things, sometimes doesn't.

Changing from Firefox to Chrome does not help. Using my laptop instead of my desktop also doesn't help.

I know that the best idea would be to not use Virgin webmail, but I have a great filing system on there so emigrating to a new platform would be inconvenient.....and I honestly don't see how this couldn't be fixed!

Any advice please?

Thank you very much.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Webmail compose & reply not working intermittently

The performance of the web mail platform is erratic to say the least, as you have unfortunately had to discover the hard way. VM are working on it and have issued a fault reference for it.

There are three solutions. The simple web mail one is (by all accounts) to use CrtlF5 to reload the page when this issue arises. That at least allows the functionality you want to work (again by all accounts).

The second solution is to set up an e-mail client like Thunderbird and use IMAP as the mail protocol. This will mean that you see all your web mail folders in your mail client. IMAP mirrors them and you can maintain your filing system and move mail around as though you were using web mail. This would provide a more permanent fix until VM can sort this out.

The one you won't like is to give up on VM mail completely. Use GMail or similar, recreate your folder system and have your VM mail forwarded to your new GMail etc address. I might find that all a step too far. VM will fix this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The performance of the web mail platform is erratic to say the least, as you have unfortunately had to discover the hard way. VM are working on it and have issued a fault reference for it.

There are three solutions. The simple web mail one is (by all accounts) to use CrtlF5 to reload the page when this issue arises. That at least allows the functionality you want to work (again by all accounts).

The second solution is to set up an e-mail client like Thunderbird and use IMAP as the mail protocol. This will mean that you see all your web mail folders in your mail client. IMAP mirrors them and you can maintain your filing system and move mail around as though you were using web mail. This would provide a more permanent fix until VM can sort this out.

The one you won't like is to give up on VM mail completely. Use GMail or similar, recreate your folder system and have your VM mail forwarded to your new GMail etc address. I might find that all a step too far. VM will fix this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Bingley
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sick and tired of this intermittent webmail. Yesterday it took over an hour trying to send just 1 email. You login and it just gets to the "appsuite/# in the url bar then just sits there with 3 grey dots flashing across the screen. Today finally get logged in after endless attempts and no folders, log out log back in , cannot send email yet again. You delete emails then go to the trash and delete them  and you think they`re deleted but no theyre back in your inbox again. Unable to access settings. What a complete and utter disaster this is. Fed up hearing VM are fixing it. It`s been months and months and they are not fixing it otherwise it would work.

Bingley
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh the Ctrl + F5 doesn`t work it only takes you back to the login screen. !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bingley, 

Thanks for getting back in touch I am sorry to see that the Ctrl F5 work around hasn't worked for you.

I find Shift F6 works on my computer so it may be worth giving this a try instead. As mentioned by HowardML we are continuing to work on the issues apologies for the trouble it has caused so far. 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bingley
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, however after Mr Howard`s  sarcastic reply to another post about this ,  the webmail will now be left for 90 days to deactivate. Superusers replies I have noticed of late are getting rather scathing. A reminder they do not work for VM and are doing VM no favours in their replies that at the least are filled with sarcasm. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bingley, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that you have had that experience, I do not think I have seen the reply you mentioned apologies for this. 

If you do wish for me to look at anything else in relation the the email do let me know and I will always be more than happy to take a further look for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
KevMac1962
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Several months on, I am still having major problems with Virgin Media Webmail, rendering it useless at times. At other times it works perfectly, but sometimes the reply button won't work, sometimes the delete email button disappears, sometimes I get the three dots of death going over the screen (unable to log in) - all sorts of errors.

For a while, I kept up a stream of complaints on Twitter to VirginMedia every time something went wrong. I got the usual "yes, sorry, we're working on it" reply (as someone has already pointed out, if they were working on it, it would surely have been fixed by now) and also the usual "nothing I can do, phone the help number" which, as I'm sure everyone knows, is pretty useless and the staff difficult to understand (with bills of around £500 per year, they can't afford to employ British people to work on the help desk?).

When I said that it was getting increasingly difficult to run my business with a lack of email service, I was told by Virgin that they do not recommend WebMail for business purposes. As if it's perfectly acceptable for leave someone with a terrible WebMail service as long as they aren't running a business.

My 'solution' has been to get myself a gmail account and keep it permanently open in whichever browser I'm using (I use Chrome & Firefox). So then, whenever Virgin WebMail has a problem (there's something virtually every day), I can very quickly switch to gmail and use that instead. I've been doing this for a few months now and have never had any problem at all with gmail.

So there you go........

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You are acting in a way which guarantees disaster is imminent. VM residential accounts are not designed for business use. Their terms and conditions specifically exclude liability for business losses and if you are using your account consistently in this way VM have the right to terminate it.

No business should be using a residential account or other free service for exclusively business use. You need a proper domain with properly hosted e-mail with a company that guarantees up time and has an SLA in place to restore services if they go down (which they will inevitably do).

VM web mail is still in a sorry condition. Your solution goes part of the way to helping but is still risky.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks