Menu
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Webmail - are they mucking about with it again?

Just gone into webmail to do the daily manual drudge task of marking spam/notspam that the filters don't process correctly, and noticed that the option to display images has gone, and the images display without prompting. An interesting change, and not entirely successful - this email, ironically from VM, clearly doesn't scale or wrap to the available space. Does anyone else see this in their webmail or am I just special?

webmailmangler.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... or for anyone else except SWMBO.
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
用心棒
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Webmail - are they mucking about with it again?

For the affected email accounts try the following in webmail:

• select and then Settings
  • select Email (located below Basic settings)
  • Under the Display section check Allow pre-loading of externally linked images is not ticked

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Must be you? Working the way it should for me. Reload the session and see what happens.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Likewise - just tried with a CokeZone and another promotional email.  Both have Show Images button and images are hidden.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cleared the cache and the cookies and did a full reboot... and it's still the same.

Further investigation has revealed that the "show images" button appears when I check webmail for my primary address and for some of my secondary addresses, but is consistently absent from the webmail of at least one of the other secondary addresses.

For the secondary that doesn't display the "show images" option, some mails wrap/scale, and others don't.

Hmm...

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos
用心棒
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

• Under the Display section check Allow pre-loading of externally linked images is not ticked
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

Thanks for that, unticking it worked.

But now I'm puzzled - I've never changed that option, and nobody else here has webmail access to that address. My other six addresses didn't have that option ticked and, because I make a point of using the same settings for each address, I can't figure how the affected one.could have been changed overnight.

Anyway, it's more-or-less sorted now. Thanks, folks.

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Up to speed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I try never to log into webmail if I can help it - it's so slow and clunky that it drives me completely insane.  Although to be fair to it, it's not as bad as the ultra slow and clunky Virgin Mobile site.   I use Thunderbird and pick up the VM emails only that way.  I don't use VM email for anything else since I quite like getting my emails and I don't trust VM email one little bit.

0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

whyowhyowhy wrote:

I try never to log into webmail if I can help it - it's so slow and clunky that it drives me completely insane.  Although to be fair to it, it's not as bad as the ultra slow and clunky Virgin Mobile site.   I use Thunderbird and pick up the VM emails only that way.  I don't use VM email for anything else since I quite like getting my emails and I don't trust VM email one little bit.

I've been using the Eudora email client since the previous millennium and it's hardly ever thrown a wobbly, but it's still necessary to access VM webmail in order to mark the false-spams as "good" and the get-through spams as "bad". My Eudora set-up, using pop3, doesn't show what VM puts in my webmail spam folders

I'm convinced that a huge number of client users have no idea how many good emails never reach their client inbox. Not every VM customer is aware of the false-spam/dumb-filters problem, and VM's regular rolling clean-out of every webmail spam folder must be binning countless good emails that unwitting users have not marked as good, thus confusing the filters that we are asked to educate.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why are you using a mail client that's not been actively developed since 2010?

While Eudora may have been good in it's time, using an outdated mail client is never a good idea.  I prefer IMAP clients to POP3 anyway.  IMAP clients such as Thunderbird and Outlook do actually download full copies of the mail to their mailboxes (Note though that Windows 10 mail only Syncs the last 2 months by default).  Although they do maintain a sync with what's on the server.  If I lose access to the server I can switch to offline mode and access the mails on my machine.

Add to that the webmail server does use IMAP reporting, so when you move a mail from Inbox to Spam, or vice versa, the system learns from this in the same way as pressing the spam or not spam buttons in the webmail client.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

Why are you using a mail client that's not been actively developed since 2010?

Tim

Because it's stable, adequate and functional.

On the other hand, VM's email platform, webmail service and spam-filters have been actively developed since implementation post-Google, and they're crap.

Not all change is good.

0 Kudos