Menu
MalcEvansMusic
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We need to speak to you about your Virgin Media Account...

Hi.

We've had a letter and texts telling us that our email address "may be forwarding to another party without your knowledge", "We've been alerted that your Vigin Media mail account may have been used to send spam. Your accounts have been locked...etc"

I've run a virus check on our laptop and found nothing. I've changed the password on our email account and I've since not had any more reports from anyone or bounced email notifications. The letter and today's text to my wife coincided with the account not working properly on our machines again (although I can log in via a web browser). What is going on?

I can't see any spam going from the account. There aren't any emails in the sent items. Has someone just picked up the email address and using it as a 'front' for their spam emails?

I'm not going to call you. Please can you tell me what to do.

Thank you!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: We need to speak to you about your Virgin Media Account...

Yes - your account will remain locked in whole or in part until you call. VM are still detecting spam being sent from your account which is why you have had the letters and texts. You won't be able to see it being sent because it is being done using VM's outbound SMTP servers with your details being authenticated. The sent e-mail folder in web mail doesn't pick these up and because they are not being sent from your machine you won't see them on there either.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes - your account will remain locked in whole or in part until you call. VM are still detecting spam being sent from your account which is why you have had the letters and texts. You won't be able to see it being sent because it is being done using VM's outbound SMTP servers with your details being authenticated. The sent e-mail folder in web mail doesn't pick these up and because they are not being sent from your machine you won't see them on there either.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
MalcEvansMusic
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's all very well, but I've changed passwords and scanned machines as they've suggested. If they've had belated complaints that have triggered the account locking again then that's not on!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not belated - current issue. There is something about your set up which is still allowing the spammers access to your password. I've advised in the past that you should also scan using something like malwarebytes (only download from their authentic site - free trial version will do). It would be sensible to phone VM on their free dedicated line - 0800 052 9429. THis is for your protection as much as the wider VM system.

But the choice, as always, is yours.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
MalcEvansMusic
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The letter was sent before we changed the password and took 5 days to get to us, so yes it's belated.

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Does your letter have a reference number?  Virgin Media have been locking hundreds of accounts in recent months.  It is possible that if you cite the reference number, someone might be able to give you additional information about the details of the problem which was detected, although so many accounts are being locked, there may not be enough people at Virgin Media to help with the details.  Meanwhile, you may want to open a free Google account and turn on two-step verification for that new account to protect yourself.

-Wrock

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello MalcEvansMusic

I am sorry you have received this letter, I would like to assure you it is genuine, the spam email was sent after an authenticated login (your password was used). The email address concerned is the one used to log into My Virgin Media so hence will allow access to all your mailboxes and data so we locked the lot. 

I appreciate that this may be concerning but please follow all the advice in the letter if you have not done so already. We will continue to monitor activity on your mailboxes and let you know if it happens again.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team