Menu
umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WHY captcha

I REALLY wish VM would get rid of this DAMN captcha tripe - it is p*****g me off!

If VM is so security obsessed, why have I been "allowed" to use the same password for YEARS???

If i was a robot - I would not be typing in a password!

Secondly - where did VM get their email system from - it's complete rubbish! It seems to be some North Korea cast-off & is decades behind Outlook! Whoever bought it or set it up needs to go & work for MacDonalds "would you like fries with that?"

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WHY captcha

Hi umkomazi, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with CAPTCHA. 

We do use it as an extra measure of security if you are having issues with CAPTCHA, please advise , are you having to enter numerous codes to gain access for example? 

You also mention trouble with the email system. What sort of trouble are you having? 

If you are getting nay sort of error message please pop it across and we will be able to take a further look for you. 

Is it only on client mail you are experiencing trouble or is it also webmail

Let us know and we'll always be happy to take a closer look for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

My point is WHY the need for this wretched captcha system! It is a complete pain!

It only seems to kick in sometimes.....sign in ..no captcha..5 mins later...it's rears its ugly head!...and only on certain machines...

What is wrong with the password.....I've had the same one for years! 

The functionality compared to MS outlook is poor....trying to sort/find emails is very clumsy.

But I'm stuck with it. ...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The “Robot” questions are the visible interface to an additional level of security designed to prevent so-called “robotic password-cracking programs” from attempting to hack your email account.

You can read some background here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

and here -

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

The interface is designed to be difficult for computer programs to answer, but easy for humans, although the differences between American english and British english can produce some frustrating results.

The “Robot” interface can be triggered by “suspicious” behaviour in relation to your account access. 

For example – and not necessarily exhaustively – the list is probably quite long -

Repeated login attempts to your account in a short period of time from a single location.

Repeated login attempts to multiple accounts from the same location in a short period of time.

Repeated access to an account from multiple locations and devices in a short period of time.

Frequent login attempts from areas/regions/countries where hacking is known to be prevalent.

Failure to pass previous robot tests.

First login attempt in a long period of time – etc etc etc.

Google bought the company in 2009 (including a room-full of PhD’s who do the thinking).

You could cut out the middleman and tell the authors directly what you think via the following details -

Google UK Ltd
Belgrave House
76 Buckingham Palace Road
London SW1W 9TQ
United Kingdom

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/contact/

umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

(including a room-full of PhD’s who do the thinking).

That explains it!  folk who are qualified up to the eyeballs..and completely useless! 

I've lost count of the number of folk who have degrees etc....who are as useful as a chocolate tea-pot!

They should have asked the punters who use the system in real life.....but that would be too easy & sensible!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

umkomazi wrote:

(including a room-full of PhD’s who do the thinking).

That explains it!  folk who are qualified up to the eyeballs..and completely useless! 

I've lost count of the number of folk who have degrees etc....who are as useful as a chocolate tea-pot!

They should have asked the punters who use the system in real life.....but that would be too easy & sensible!

Well here's a challenge for you.

As a punter using the system in real life - what would you suggest?

TFA? - Virgin could use that but it's still adding another layer of complexity to the login, which the punters are likely to resist.

How then do you protect the accounts of users who can't or won't set up TFA?  Remember if you enforce it on all accounts, you have to give your customers an opportunity to set it up first, otherwise you'll lock customers out.

So what other idea's would you suggest?

Oh and before you ask - I like TFA - I have it set up on my Blizzard account,  Google, Microsoft and Ubisoft accounts.  

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My sign in & password has been OK for YEARS ... no one has hacked it..why would anyone want to read my emails when GCHQ / CIA  or every other spy agency does it anyway???

Now we have to click on pics of salads/shops & christ knows what else - just to read email! One minute you get in with sign on /password..next name + password + tick box...then name  + password  + click on pics of salads or shop windows - what the hell is happening???!!! That is all using the same laptop within an hour or so......

0 Kudos
umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TFA is what?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Two factor  authentication.   Put it in your preferred seach engine for a fuller explanation. 

umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

May as well be the x-factor ...a complete pain in the rear end!

0 Kudos