Menu
Gervy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia spam warning letter

Like other users who have posted, I got one of the "your connection has been identified as sending a high number of spam emails" letters. I have a similar question - Is there any way of getting additional information to help track down the culprit device?  There are no obvious signs of infection on any of my several machines. 

Is this definitely e-mail or has a higher than normal volume of out going traffic been noticed?  Could it be Skype? 

Any information on the email account?  When was this first noticed?  Which dates/times has it been noticed on? Also, what happens if I can't find the spam source / ignore the letter?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia spam warning letter

You should always take those letters seriously.  A member of the VM Forum Team staff should be able to give your more details regarding which email account is concerned, but it will take them a few days to reach this thread.

In the mean time it worthwhile following all the advice given on this help page: What-to-do-if-you-think-your-email-account-has-been-accessed-by-someone-else?

Wolfclaw
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Take it serious.

On the other hand, if VM actually had mail system in place that is fit for purpose, you probably wouldn't have gotten one !

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Download this: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Once you have downloaded it run it and do a full system scan and see if anything shows up.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gervy, 

I see that you've already received some excellent advice from our Community Smiley Happy

In addition to the useful link provided by Graham_A this one relates specifically to your issue - Home Network Spam Alert.

I'll happily answer your other questions though as this would involve divulging personal data we shall have converse in private.

Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get back to you.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Gervy
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia provided details of the reason for the letter and it was caused by a particular message.  Thanks for the advice on things to try.  It would be really helpful if more information was provided in the letter that is sent out so that it would be possible to focus on the real issue.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gervy,

I'm glad we managed to clear things up for you. I hope you encounter no further issues of this nature but if you do, or if you require help with anything else, please post on this Forum and we'll be along to provide support.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos