Menu
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia spam warning letter

I acknowledge your warning and the advice to change the email passwords but! We have 4 email accounts with you and can connect 15+ devices. VM could neither provide me with any information as to what OS type, device type, MAC address or which email address is suspect. If you have enough information from our accounts to send out this type of letter then why can't I obtain further information to identify the route cause? Could be anything? TV, Blue ray, Chromecast, Games consoles, Phones, PC's, printer etc. !!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia spam warning letter

First off this is a community forum so the first responders are often community members such as myself.  So it can take Virgin Media's Forum Team a few days to respond to posts on here.

Now lets deal with your issue.

Does the letter say the spam is coming from your email account and have an OFFNETSPAM reference?

If so then those no point in checking your network for the mailer itself, although you might want to check it for malware and/or Viruses.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The letter is from 'ONNETSPAM' not 'OFFNETSPAM' saying we are sending a large number of spam emails from our internet account (email or internet connection???). The rest of the letter focuses on email forwarding and settings without stating that it is an email account, specific device or network security issue. The PC's I have checked, which I do regularly show no sign of infection for virus/malware. Just trying to get a hint of which other device may be causing a problem as VM just suggested changing our email passwords which suggests an email account with no other useful info. I post here as I get quicker more useful information than over the phone.
0 Kudos
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just found twitter emails in my son's inbox. Removed the account as below as he has no knowledge of it!

Your email has been removed.
Your email (be*****@vi*****.com) has been removed from the Twitter account "XXXXXX".
You will no longer receive Twitter notifications intended for this account.
Why was your email associated with an account that doesn't belong to you?
It's likely that another user entered your email address when signing up for a Twitter account. Or, someone may be engaging in abuse, in which case your report may help identify and remove spam from Twitter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ONNETSPAM means that the spam came from your public IP address.  For email transactions IP addresses can't be spoofed as there's an extended 2 way conversation between the two devices.

However when it comes to email there are things that Virgin can't see.

Which specific device sent the email.  While you appear to understand the concept of MAC addresses, they are only used to communicate between local devices.  They're only seen by your LAN adapter.  Likewise, unless the device identifies itself by it's local IP when talking to the email server, Virgin also don't see that.  All they see is the the public IP and the information provided in the EHLO greeting.

Tim

Highlighted
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After hours of searching and multiple calls to VM I have found nothing and the only useful information from VM was that the spam came from one of our 4 email addresses. Contacted NetReport - Virgin and got no reply. The only conclusion I can draw is that I send spam. I have been sending spam for years. I like sending spam. I consider it my duty to send spam. You should also send spam like me. I send it to Action Fraud and also to Microsoft using the Outlook Junk and Phishing add on. Hmmm. Could be?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to ask that the Forum Team take a look as they seem to have overlooked this thread.

@ModTeam

Tim

SH3user
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looks like this thread has expired and I am still none the wiser as to what triggered the letter. Oh well!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello SH3user

Awfully sorry this tread wasn't responded to by us, if it is not too late we are happy to help. I am able to tell you the email address involved and time when this happened but sadly the protocol does not support identifying the actual device, I would first need to carry out some DPA checks so will send you a forum private message to discuss further.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos