Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Durrak

Re: Virginmedia email set up on iphone....

I'd just about given up when I read a different string which told me to go to the settings screen in my Virgin Media Web based mail account and change to IMAP4 & set up a new account on my iPhone. I went to the settings page only to discover it already showed my account as IMAP & not POP3! I enabled POP3 (for new post only), disabled IMAP and suddenly everything is working again.

NB: First I had to change my settings to those mentioned previously in this chain (with regards to SSL settings & ports etc)

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
SteveKitchen

Hi,

Whilst I have managed to set-up my phone to send and receive (ntlworld.com address via O2) I have failed to activate imap from my IPhone.

I have set-up IMAP via my settings through webmail however no luck with the IPhone - I expected to be able to see my webmail folder structure through my IPhone and manage my mail either via the phone or the web.

These settings work:

Incoming mail server: pop3.ntlworld.com

Outgoing mail server: smtp.02.co.uk

SSL is off and server port is 110

If I change incoming server to imap4.ntlworld.com and port to 143 however connection fails.

Same if I change to imap.ntlworld.com and port to 143.

Same if I change to imap.ntlworld.com and port to 110.

Help please in getting this to work.

Many thanks,

Steve

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
svalbaard

Dear moderator: Is there NOBODY at VM who understands and can explain in clear concise terms how your customers get their NTLWORLD.COM email to work from a mobile device such as the iPhone? Many people have asked on these forums, but there seems to be no response from VM which is simply not good enough considering that this issue was set to be resolved once we had all migrated to Googlemail. Please... SORT THIS OUT. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

SteveKitchen wrote:

If I change incoming server to imap4.ntlworld.com and port to 143 however connection fails.

None of those port settings are correct for IMAP.ntlworld.com - it has to be port 993 with SSL switched on

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

[ Edited ]

SteveKitchen wrote:

Hi,

Help please in getting this to work.

Many thanks,

Steve

You should be using the documented settings instead: Email settings for addresses ending in @ntlworld.com. However port 143/No SSL should still work on imap.ntlworld.com for a month or two, so I think you may not have created an IMAP account on the iPhone in the first place. A POP client account cannot connect to an IMAP server. Usually, you can't convert email client accounts between POP and IMAP because the email storage required is completely different.

You may be having trouble creating an ntlworld IMAP account on the iPhone because it may be pre-programmed to know how to connect to an old ntlworld system so as soon as you give it an ntlworld email address it will create a POP account. It appears from other posts that the way round this is to intentionally get the email address wrong so the iPhone does not think it knows best (e.g. ntlworldxx.com), then you get the choice to select IMAP and put the address right later.   

Also possibly of interest: How to archive and delete messages using IMAP on iPhones

Eric

[Edit] P.S. Seeing Ben's post after I saved mine, I though I had better check by testing it. It seems imap.ntlworld.com does still support IMAP on port 143 without SSL but as he says you should be using port 993 with SSL. Eric.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
SteveKitchen

Thanks for the help in getting this sorted - followed the advice and it works fine.

As suggested I created a new account on the IPhone using ...@ntlworldxx.com as the address.  As advised this then gave me the option of selecting IMAP rather than POP and I set the incoming server to imap.ntlworld.com with SSL on and the port set to 993.  Corrected the address back to ...@ntlworld.com , activated the new account and it worked first time!

Many thanks again for the help.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
auldyin

I too have a problem here...with added complications.....

I am on an extended holiday in the far east and have just purchased an iPhone which is working just fine apart from my not being able to access my mail on ....@ntlworld.com

Furthermore, I cannot even access my account to check my emails never mind send anything using the iphone.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
starshipman

I have an iphone 4 on the 3 network. can anyone please please tell me the settings for the email.

Mine is ntlworld email address.

Please please help its driving me crazy.

Ian

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi auldyin

We have had some problems with our email platform over the last week or so (information on these issues can be found here and here )

These issues have now been resolved, if you're still experiencing problems please take a look at this sticky which may help you resolve your issue.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi Ian

Information on the ntlworld mail settings can be found here.  You may need to use 3's smtp server rather than ours however which seemed to be either smtp-mbb.three.co.uk or smtp.three.co.uk (its probably best to check with 3 though).

Also if you're downloading mail to a PC as well please take a look at this article too.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.