Menu
Dennis106
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia.com username doesn't exist

I have 2 separate virginmedia.com email addresses. Since last Tuesday, when accessing via my iPhone, one has updated and the other will not saying that my username or password is incorrect. I have not changed any settings and the incoming mail server settings are the same as the account which is updating!

When I tried to log into Virginmedia site to the emails for the account which isn't updating, it's telling me that my username doesn't exist! Now could this have been deleted somehow or do they expire? Not sure where to go from here - from reading the other posts I can see that there have been some changes to servers, but I cannot understand how if both of my email addresses end in virginmedia.com, how only one can be working?

Thanks for any advice...

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia.com username doesn't exist

sending emails from each account to the other could be an interesting experiment.. also, try accessing them both via web mail from the same PC changing only the log in credentials. That may help diagnose if it's just the device that's confused or if you really have lost one. they should only "expire" if you cease to be a customer or if left unused for >90 days

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that the original post is not helpful in a number of ways. As we keep saying , it is no use telling us that "my settings" are OK or the same or the same as each other without telling us what the settings are. More often than not when we enquire more deeply we discover the settings are "wrong". 

Second do the two addresses work from your home VM wifi connection  or does that fail as well?

We know that web mail is failing for one of the accounts. That is a clue but I don't want to go there yet. Well actually I do want to go part of the way  - please confirm that you have a live VM broadband account which you pay for?

You can use this service to test the validity of the apparently faulty address. Run the test and tell us the result please.

http://verify-email.org/

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Dennis106
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Firstly, thank you for your response. Cybmole, I tried to send an email via webmail from the account that works to the one that doesn't and it failed to send. The message description said 'mailbox blocked' ?
We do have a virginmedia broadband account currently.
0 Kudos
Dennis106
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you HowardML for your comments.
We have a virginmedia account which we pay monthly.
The settings I refer to match the suggested settings on the virginmedia website, e.g SSL, authentication, server port 993.
The account that fails does so from my webmail from home broadband linked PC as well as iPhone, but only since last Tuesday. The other account working as normal from via all methods.
I tried the website below and result was 'bad' and message below read 'recipient rejected, mailbox blocked'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It may be that the account has been locked due to odd/spam activity. If VM don't have a mobile number for you they send a letter which can take a week or so to arrive.

Try changing the password and security questions for the account concerned via My Virgin Media : My Profile : Manage Accounts
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could not have put it better myself. Great advice!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos