Menu
coolemail
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VirginMedia customers not receiving emails from our server

Dear All,

We host a rugby club and we routinely send emails to mailing lists with important information to players, parents, supporters etc.

All Virgin clients are not receiving these.  This includes: @ntlworld.com   @virginmedia.com and @virgin.net

Server messages are like the following:

Feb 24 10:46:22 plesk postfix/error[17144]: 1FA928E73AE: to=<xxx@virginmedia.com>, relay=none, delay=540, delays=540/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure)

It would appear that our IP address for salisburyrfc.org is being blocked by Virgin mail servers.  We are not listed on any Spam databases

Please would someone get back to me urgently please as it is affecting operations severely at present

Kind regards

Christoph - sysadmin

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VirginMedia customers not receiving emails from our server

Hi coolemail,

I am so sorry for how long this has taken. The data you provided was used, along with other examples, to make changes to our servers and the way in which they handle inbound email traffic.

As a result whitelisting, on an individual basis, should not be required. And you should have no further issues with failed mail delivery to VM domains.

Are you able to confirm whether or not you are continuing to have problems?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos

All Replies
coolemail
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Further to my first post, some of these emails have been in the queue for over 3 days and SURELY your servers would accept them quicker than that.

There are many which are so important as the recipients are moderators of mailing lists.

I am sure that the error is not our end because when we test using telnet, we get the following IMMEDIATELY
# telnet 212.54.58.11 25
Trying 212.54.58.11...
Connected to 212.54.58.11.
Escape character is '^]'.
421 mx1.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure

This shows communication is working correctly and that the Virgin smtp server is generating an error on connection.

0 Kudos
SRFCWebmaster
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am the rugby club webmaster and have a Virgin Media email address (@ntlworld.com). I have been affected by this issue and communications have been delayed because I was not aware of emails waiting to be moderated on email lists. I cannot find any setting on my account that can account for this. Please investigate and inform me of any settings that need to be set.

Kind regards,

Russell.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A

Without resorting to long explanations for the OPs we all know what these errors are showing - rate limiting or grey-listing of some kind. Very odd that it happening to a rugby club?  One for you to add to your ever growing list of such cases; and no blacklisting in this case (well at least that is what the OP says)

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Christoph,

I am sincerely sorry about this and shall do what I can to get this matter progressed quickly.

The 421 error indicates a 'too many concurrent connections or too many simultaneous sessions" error. This is something I've come across before recently, and, as expected, your domain shows a missing DMARC record - which should not result in a delivery refusal but is in common with the other issues I've flagged.

I shall need a little more information from you so please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll do the necessary.

Many thanks,

@HowardML thanks for the alert!

Jen
Forum Team

coolemail
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick response Jen

I've sent everyhing you asked for

There is nothing missing on our DNS recards.  Only issue with emails is Virgin ones.

The number of current connections is because of the number of emails trying to be sent and when a mailing is sent, there will be a number to your clients, including the Club's webmaster who I note has also posted on here and can give you more information for you to trace. 

Some are there for over 3 days so your system is blocking them from coming through.

Please whitelist the IP range you can see in PM I sent you from our SPF record for that domain.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi coolemail,

Thank you for providing that information. I wasn't implying any issue with Sophos by the way, just trying to understand the way it works for you. I shall read up on it in more detail when I have a chance.

But I have now submitted your data over to our Postmaster, fault ref: F005105326, and I shall get in touch as soon as we have an update.

Kind regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
coolemail
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  Let us know when they have whitelisted the IP range and we will confirm that our mail queue is diminishing.  Please do that urgently as there are emails awaiting action by administrators which is required.

I have noticed that you are getting this a lot from other posts on the forums so I think you need to resolve it.

P.S.  To stress once again, we are not using Sophos.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Russell,

Thank you for your input into this too. To be honest I doubt that there are any individual settings that will affect this. Although the 421/Too Many Simultaneous Sessions error implies an error with the bulk sending limits I don't think that is the actual issue. A number of other reported incidents of this type are currently under investigation and I hope we'll have some update on this soon. 
Thanks though, I shall keep you all updated.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
coolemail
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Our server-wide bulk sending limits 150 emails ever 5 minutes.  A minute fraction of these would come to you and if your receiving limits are smaller than that, I'd fall of my chair in amazement.

The reason you are seeing a lot of attemtps right now is because our server is constantly talking to yours to overcome the delay but our telnet shows you that you are IMMEDIATELY blocking it so there is a stalemate and we cannot force them through

0 Kudos