Menu
joematthews
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VirginMedia customers not receiving email from our School

Dear all,

We routinely send out mailshots on a weekly basis to our parents and have recently noticed that ALL email to the following domains are being bounced back with the following errors. This is affecting 60+ parents.

• host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure
  • host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.58.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx1.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure
  • delivery temporarily suspended: host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure

·         host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx3.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure

@virgin.net

@VirginMedia.com

@blueyonder.co.uk

@ntlworld.co.uk

@ntlword.com

It would appear that our domain @cityoflondonschool.org.uk is being blacklisted by your servers. I have tried emailing postmaster@virginmedia.com as suggested by domainmanagement@virginmediabusiness.co.uk but I am not getting a response.

Please can someone get back to me with some urgency, I have tried and failed down all other avenues.

Kind regards
Joe

IT Manager
City of London School

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: VirginMedia customers not receiving email from our School

@Jen_A - Could you add this to the list of greylisting issues?

@joematthews - Your domain isn't being blacklisted, in fact, I doubt the server even knows the mail from: address.

Re-read your logs:

• host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11] refused to talk to me: 421 mx6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ... temporary failure

That's not an outright rejection - if it was you wouldn't get a 421 error.  4xx errors are temporary failures, which indicates to a mail server that it should try again at some point.

Virgin does employ greylisting however typically we normally see 421 too many simultaneous connections, so this may indeed be down to a different issue on the servers.

Jen - these issues with mail delivery continue to frustrate senders and recipients alike.  Would you consider giving the email team a kick up the rear end and asking them to get to the bottom of it pronto?

Thanks

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi joematthews,

I am honestly sorry that your emails to our domains are failing/delayed.

The temporary failures will either be successful following subsequent handover attempts or will result in permanent fails.

As per ravenstar's post the 421 error is usually more synonymous with "Too Many Concurrent Connections" errors. But I'd like to look into this further and see if we can get this flagged up to the Liberty Global email engineers.
I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) requesting some additional data. Please reply when you can and I'll get this matter progress. Would you also please include, in your reply, your sending domain? I forgot to request that.

Kind regards,

@ravenstar68 - thanks for the nudge!

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is your school on the LGFL network? If so I should raise the issue with their help desk. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
joematthews
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Jen,
I have replied to your message with the detail you require.

@ravenstar68- thanks for your post. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Kind regards
Joe

joematthews
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor,

No we are not on LGFL.

Joe
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for that Smiley Happy

Strangely I have a report of another similar issue with a company using Sophos Email Appliance. I don't think that's the cause by the way, but it does make it a tad more difficult to obtain the header data.

However, the SMTP logs you provided are exactly what we need. I've now flagged this up to our Postmaster, fault ref: F005105284, and I shall be in touch as soon as I have an update.

Bye for now,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
joematthews
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Jen,

Hopefully the team will be able to determine the cause soon.

Kind regards
Joe
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A  I think the Sophos link is possibly a red herring myself, based on the logs the connection is terminated early on in the email exchange, possibly before even the HELO/EHLO message from the client.

Ravenstar68 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 - I was a little thrown by my unfamiliarity with Sophos. But I agree, it's unlikely to be a factor.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos