Menu
BPomf
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net password issue

Hi there

I have a virgin.net email account to which I have been unable to access for the last week.  I access the account via Windows Live Mail and an app on my phone.  I have been a VM brodband customer continuously since 2008.

On the first day I was unable to access the account, I received a text stating that my VM account security had been compromised and recommended that I log-in to my VM profile to change my password, which did.

I have also updated my settings, as per the advice on this forum via my Live Mail account and made sure Live Mail knows the new password that I set, yet it still says I am entering an incorrect password and am unable to send or receive emails.

I have been moving my contacts over to my gmail account, but it is difficult to do this entirely without access to current emails on my virgin.net account.  I have read elsewhere on this forum that VM have been deleting some email accounts in error and am concerned that this might have happened to my account.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net password issue

Hi

I can't see anything wrong with the Virgin.net email address you have.

If your account has been locked, then all that should be required is to reset your password.

Use the forgotten password option to try that again.

Thanks

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BPomf
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi James, thanks for the reply.

I thought I had already reset my password via the My Profile section of the My Virgin Media section on the website.  Is this not the correct way of resetting the password?

Where is the forgotten password option that you refer to?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi BPomf,

Some basic system tests of your email account indicate that a password change is still required.

It is important to note that your new password must be something unique, that you've not used before. Please change it again via My Virgin Media and post an update on here so we know if you still need our support Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
BPomf
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I received a letter stating that my account had been locked due to my login details being compromised.  I changed the password via the 'forgotten password' link, however, this did not work.  I then called 0800 052 9429 and spent 30 minutes speaking to two members of your team.  I was set up with two dummy passwords.  Neither worked on my email client or app.  The second person suggested I log-in through the website, which I was able to do.  However, all I could see were emails for an old ntlworld account that I have never used.  I then tried to set up this account, but just got the following: "could not connect to transport server smpt.virginmedia.com for login (my email address)...validation of POP3 credentials is disabled due to possible login restrictions by provider...".  It seems that changing the password is not enough to unlock the account. 

It was suggested that I was put through to the second-stage team(?) for "troubleshooting", but the queue was very long.  I declined as it was getting lack and was suggested I call back on a week day morning, but I can't do this at the moment as I am working. 

Can you help at all?

0 Kudos
BPomf
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've also tried a further password reset this evening as requested, but still not working.  I'm trying to be patient with this, but I think it's clear that resetting the password isn't working.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi BPomf,

Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) so that I can assist further with this.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
BPomf
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

I have tried the new password and yes, I can access webmail, but I still cannot see any emails for my account.  The emails you can see are for an old ntlworld account of my wife's that she's never used.  When I try and click on my account at the bottom I just see empty folders and get an error message for the inbox about being unable to access the incoming server.

The new password is still not working on my client or app, so it appears we're no further forward.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi BPomf,

Your client and app will have to be updated to incorporate the new password. 

I'm not saying that you haven't already done that but, assuming that other people's memories may be as poor as mine, I have to put it out there, just in case.

BPomf wrote:

Hi Jen

...When I try and click on my account at the bottom I just see empty folders and get an error message for the inbox about being unable to access the incoming server...

Is this via webmail or a client?

If client, what are your current server settings?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
BPomf
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've always updated (or tried to update in the case of the app) the passwords as they've been changed.

The empty folders is on webmail.  The account I was locked out of was not set up on webmail, so I had to add the account when I logged in earlier in the week, so the server settings should all be correct and up to date.  Do you want me to tell you the settings on the client, just to be sure, as well?

0 Kudos